Journey to the West Chapter 18 The Robe
《西游记》第十八章:袈裟
Wukong and Guanyin flew over the ocean and back to the wide river.
悟空和观音菩萨飞过了大海,回到了那条宽阔的大河。
From the sky Guanyin called, "Dragon! Come out of the river at once. The Tang Monk is here!"
观音在空中叫道:“妖龙!立刻从河里出来。唐僧来了!”
The dragon rose from the river and bowed. "Bodhisattva," he said,
那条龙从河里出来行礼。“观音菩萨。”他说,
"I'm sorry. I didn't realize the monk had arrived. I was trying to rest. A nasty monkey was ..."
“对不起。我不知道唐僧已经来了。我正要休息时,有只讨厌的猴子... ...”
The dragon stopped talking when he saw Wukong next to Guanyin. "That's him!"
当那条龙看到观音菩萨旁边的悟空时,他愣了一下:“就是那只猴子!”
"This is Sun Wukong," said Guanyin. "He is traveling with the Tang Monk."
“这是孙悟空。”观音菩萨说,“他陪唐僧前去取经。”
"The monkey didn't tell me that," said the dragon. "I even asked him who he was, and he didn't answer."
“那猴子没告诉我啊!”龙说,“我问过他是谁,但他没回答我。”
"I know," said Guanyin. She shot Wukong a look.
“我知道。”观音菩萨说。她看了悟空一眼。
"From now on, you must tell people who you are. There are others waiting for you too."
“从现在开始,你必须告诉别人你是谁。这一路上还会有其他人等着你的。”
"Okay," said Wukong.
“好。”悟空说。
Guanyin looked back at the dragon. "You will carry the Tang Monk to the Western Paradise."
观音菩萨又看了看那条龙:“你要驮着唐僧去西天。”
Sparkling light surrounded the dragon.
那条龙全身开始发光。
When the light faded, a horse stood where the dragon had been. It looked exactly like the Tang Monk's horse.
当光慢慢变暗后,那条龙不见了,原地出现了一匹马。它看上去和唐僧原先的那匹马一模一样。
After Guanyin left, Wukong led the horse to the Tang Monk.
观音菩萨离开后,悟空把马牵到了唐僧面前。
"You got the horse back!" said the monk.
“你把马找回来了。”唐僧说。
"No," said Wukong. "Guanyin was here. She turned the dragon into a horse. He's supposed to come with us."
“不是的。”悟空说,“观音菩萨来过这里。她把那条龙变成了马。他本来就是要与我们一起去取经的。”
The Tang Monk fell to his knees and bowed.
唐僧跪在地上向天敬拜。
Wukong laughed. "Stand up, Master. The bodhisattva is back on Mount Potalaka by now."
悟空大笑。“站起来吧,师父。观音菩萨现在已经回到普陀山了。”
"Do you need a ride?" called a voice.
“你们要渡河吗?”一个声音叫道。
Wukong spun around. A boat had arrived next to the shore.
悟空看了看四周。一条船靠到了岸上。
"I will take you across the river," said the boatman.
“我会带你们渡河的。”船夫说。
The Tang Monk stepped onto the boat, and Wukong followed with the horse.
唐僧踏上了船,悟空牵着马也跟着上了船。
The boatman didn't speak as he rowed them across the river.
船夫划船过了河,一路上一句话都没说。
On the other side of the river, the monkey led the horse onto the shore.
到了河的另一边,悟空牵着马上了岸。
The Tang Monk stepped out of the boat. When he turned to thank the boatman, the boat was gone.
唐僧下了船。当他转身准备去感谢船夫时,那条船已经不见了。
Wukong laughed when he saw how confused the monk looked. "He was the river's spirit," the monkey explained.
悟空看到唐僧困惑的表情时笑了起来。“他是那条河的河神。”悟空解释说。
The monk and the monkey continued their journey over hills and across plains.
唐僧和悟空继续翻山越岭,走过一个个平原。
"How long will it take to reach the Western Paradise?" the Tang Monk asked one afternoon.
“去西天要多长时间啊?”有一天下午唐僧问道。
"A long, long time," said Wukong. "We've barely started our journey."
“很久很久。”悟空说,“我们几乎是刚开始我们的旅程。”
They walked some more until they reached a Buddhist monastery.
他们又走了一段时间,来到了一座寺院前。
"Let's stop here for the night," said Wukong.
“我们就在这里过夜吧。”悟空说。
"We're Buddhists. The priests inside will gladly give us some food and a place to sleep."
“我们是僧人。寺院的和尚会很乐意提供给我们食物和睡觉的地方的。”
Later that evening the Tang Monk and Wukong ate a meal with the priests.
那天夜里,师徒二人与庙里的和尚一起吃饭。
When the head priest heard where the Tang Monk was going, he was excited.
当住持听到唐僧从哪里来时,他非常激动。
"You are going to get the True Scriptures," said the priest.
“你们会取到真经的。”住持说,
"That is quite an honor. How did the bodhisattva choose you?"
“那真的是最高的荣誉。观音菩萨怎么选中你的?”
"She said that only a true believer could make the journey," said the Tang Monk.
“她说只有真正的信徒才能取到真经。”唐僧说,
"I tried on a robe, and she saw that I was a true believer."
“我试穿过一件袈裟,然后她看出来我是真正的信徒。”
"Do you have the robe with you?" asked the priest.
“那你带了那件袈裟吗?”住持问。
"Yes," said the Tang Monk. "It's a Buddhist treasure." He reached into his bag and pulled out the robe.
“带了啊!”唐僧说,“那是佛祖的宝贝。”他伸手从包里拿出了那件袈裟。
The priest's eyes sparkled. "May I hold it?"
住持的眼睛亮了:“能让我看看吗?”
The Tang Monk handed the robe to the priest.
唐僧把袈裟递给了住持。
The priest admired it for a moment. "May I borrow it, just for tonight?"
住持赞叹地看着袈裟。“我今晚能借用一下这件袈裟吗?就今晚!”
The Tang Monk hesitated. "I guess that would be okay."
唐僧犹豫了一会儿:“可以。”
Late that night the priest was awake, gazing at the robe. "I can't return this robe. I must have it!"
那天深夜,住持没有睡觉,一直盯着袈裟。“我不能把这件袈裟还回去。这是属于我的!”