Journey to the West Chapter 17 The Dragon in the River
《西游记》第十七章:河中之龙
"That dragon ate my horse!" said the monk. He fell to his knees.
“那条龙吃了我的马!”唐僧说。他跪倒在地。
"How will I ever get to the Western Paradise? There are so many dangers along the way!"
“我要怎么去西天呢?这一路上有这么多危险!”
Wukong laughed. "Master, you worry too much. There will be many dangers on your journey.
悟空大笑:“师父,你担心的太多了。你这一路上会有很多危险的,
"But you have me, the Monkey King, to protect you.
但你有我啊!我是花果山的大王。我会保护你的。
All of Heaven's soldiers couldn't defeat me. So why worry about a dragon?"
我打败了所有的天兵天将 。你为什么担心一条龙呢?”
The monkey stepped into the water and pulled out his iron bar. "I'll get the dragon to come out of the water."
悟空踏入了水里,拿出了他的金箍棒。“我要让那条龙从水里出来。”
He looked down at the water. "Dragon! Get up here right now!"
他低头看着水面。“妖龙!立刻给我出来!”
The dragon leaped from the water. "How dare you yell at me! Who are you?"
那条龙从水里跳了出来。“你敢对着我大吼大叫!你是谁?”
"It doesn't matter who I am!" shouted Wukong. "Give that horse back!"
“我是谁不重要!”悟空大叫,“ 把马还给我!”
The monkey attacked the dragon with his iron bar.
悟空举起金箍棒朝那条龙打下去。
The dragon spun around, blocking the bar with his tail. Then with a splash he dived back underwater.
妖龙转身用尾巴挡住了金箍棒。一阵水花飞溅,他又返回了水底。
Wukong stomped his foot and yelled at the river. "Coward!"
悟空用力跺脚,朝着河面大叫:“胆小鬼!”
"What will we do?" asked the Tang Monk. "I have no horse."
“我们怎么办?”唐僧问,“我现在没有马了。”
Wukong nodded. "And we can't cross the river with that dragon in there. I'll try another plan."
悟空点点头。“那条妖龙在河里,我们就没办法过河。我来试试其他办法。”
The monkey swirled the water with his iron bar. The water became rough. Waves crashed and churned.
悟空用他的金箍棒搅动河水。水势变猛,波涛翻滚,发出了巨大的响声。
The water dragged up silt from the river bottom. Soon the river was brown and muddy.
波浪把河底的泥沙都带了上来。很快整条河都变得非常浑浊了。
The dragon appeared again. "What on earth are you doing now?" he cried. "I'm trying to take a nap!"
那条龙再次出现。“你到底在干什么?”他高叫,“我要小睡一会儿。”
"Give us back our horse!" demanded Wukong.
“还我们马!”悟空命令说。
"I can't!" cried the dragon. "It's in my stomach!"
“不还!”那龙大叫,“我已经吃了那匹马!”
The monkey attacked the dragon again. But once more the dragon disappeared under the water.
悟空再次朝那条龙打下去,但那条龙又一次消失在了水里。
For more than three hours, Wukong yelled at the river.
悟空对着河面叫喊了三个多小时。
He yelled all kinds of insults. But the dragon would not come back up.
他高声喊着所有难听的话,但那条龙没有再出来。
Wukong climbed up the riverbank and sat down next to the Tang Monk.
悟空爬上了河岸,坐在唐僧的身边。
"The dragon is hard to deal with. I'm not afraid of him, but I can't beat him either. I need help."
“那条龙太难对付了。我不怕他,但我也没办法打败他。我需要帮助。”
"Who can help you?" asked the Tang Monk.
“谁能帮你呢?”唐僧问。
Wukong thought for a moment. "Guanyin told me I can ask her for help if I need it."
悟空想了一会儿:“观音菩萨说过,如果我需要帮助,我可以去找她。
"Yes," said the Tang Monk. "She told me the same thing."
“好!”唐僧说,“她也跟我说过一样的话。”
Wukong felt the headband and shot a look at the monk. "She already did help you.
悟空想到了自己的头箍,看了唐僧一眼。“她已经帮了你了。
She gave you this tight headband." He sighed.
她给了你这个头箍嘛。”悟空叹了口气,
"But that doesn't matter now. You wait here. I'll be back soon."
“ 现在已经不重要了。你在这里等着。我去去就来。”
Wukong shot into the air and flew south. Soon he came to Mount Potalaka in the South Sea.
悟空飞身而起,一路向南飞去。很快他就到了南海普陀山。
Guanyin was in a garden next to her pagoda. "Hello, Wukong," she said.
观音菩萨正在她宝塔旁边的园子里。“你好!悟空。”她说,
"How is the journey going? I see you're wearing the headband."
“你们的西天之旅怎么样了?你头上戴了头箍。”
"Yes, it's all for you!" said the monkey.
“是的,这都是拜您所赐呀!”悟空说。
Guanyin smiled. "You need that headband, Wukong. You are too violent and cruel."
观音菩萨笑了。“你需要这头箍,悟空。你太暴力,太残忍了!”
Wukong rolled his eyes. "Fine. I'm here because I have a problem.
悟空转了转眼珠。“好吧!我来这里是因为我们遇上麻烦了。
We reached a wide river with a dragon in it. The dragon ate our horse."
我们在一条宽阔的大河旁边遇到了一条龙。那条龙把我们的马吃掉了。”
"Did you tell the dragon that you're traveling with the Tang Monk?" asked Guanyin.
“你没告诉那条龙和你一起走的是唐僧吗?”观音菩萨问。
"No," said the monkey. "Why?"
“没有啊!”悟空说,“怎么了?”
Guanyin sighed. "That dragon was waiting for you.
观音菩萨叹了口气。“那条龙是在等你们。
When I met him, he was being punished for setting fire to his father's palace.”
因为它在它父亲的宫里放了把火,我遇到它的时候,它正在受罚。
"I told him to help the Tang Monk reach the Western Paradise. That way he can earn forgiveness."
我告诉他要帮助唐僧去西天。这是他赎罪的方式。”
Wukong scratched his head. "It's too late for that now. He won't come out of the water."
悟空挠了挠脑袋。“你现在告诉我太晚了。他不会从水里出来了。”