Journey to the West Chapter 12 The Bet
《西游记》第十二章:打赌
Buddha smiled at Wukong. "How did you get so powerful?"
如来笑着对悟空说。“你怎么能这么厉害?”
"A sage taught me secret formulas," said Wukong. "I practiced them for many years. I am now equal to the Jade Emperor."
“有位圣人教了我很多法术。”悟空说,“我练习了很多年。我现在可以和玉帝平起平坐了。”
"The Jade Emperor has been practicing the same formulas for many lifetimes," said Buddha.
“玉帝轮回转世多次,一直练习。”如来说,
"How can you think you're equal to him? Go back to your mountain now and behave yourself."
“你怎么会认为你可以同玉帝平起平坐?快回你的花果山去, 好好做你的美猴王吧!”
"No," said Wukong. "I'm not leaving until I get to rule Heaven."
“不!”悟空说,“我不走,我要统领这天庭。”
Buddha thought for a minute. "Sun Wukong, what powers do you have?"
如来思考了一会儿:“孙悟空,你有什么本事?”
"I can change into other animals," said Wukong. "I can soar through the sky on clouds. I can do anything I want!"
“我可以变化成其他动物。”悟空说,“我可以腾云驾雾。我想做什么就能做什么!”
"Then let's make a bet," said Buddha. "If you win, you can rule Heaven.
“那么我们来打个赌吧!”如来说,“如果你赢了,你就可以统领天庭。
The Jade Emperor will come to live with me in the Western Paradise. But if you lose, you will be punished severely."
玉帝会和我一起去西天。如果你输了,你会受到重罚。”
"What do I have to do?" asked Wukong.
“我要怎么做?”悟空问。
"It's simple," said Buddha.
“很简单。”如来说。
He held out his hand. "You just have to jump off my hand."
他伸出了一只手:“你只需从我的手掌里翻出去。”
Wukong laughed. "That's easy! I can jump across entire oceans!"
悟空笑了:“那很简单!我可以越过整个海洋!”
Buddha smiled. "Well then, let's see you do it."
如来也笑了:“那么,我们就来看看你的本事吧!”
Wukong stepped up onto Buddha's palm.
悟空跳上了如来的手掌。
"You're a fool," he said to Buddha. "I'm going to jump farther than you could ever imagine.
“你真愚笨!”他对如来说,“我会跳得比你想象的要远的多。
"When I return, I'll be the ruler of Heaven!"
我回来的时候,就可以统领这天庭了!”
Wukong leaped and soared through the air. After a long time, he saw five enormous pillars. He landed in front of them.
悟空跳到云上,飞走了。他飞了好一阵之后,看到了五根巨大的柱子。他在柱子前停下了。
"This must be the end of the world," he said to himself.
“这一定就是天边了。”他对自己说,
"I'll go back now and tell Buddha to take the Jade Emperor away. Heaven is mine!"
“我现在就回去告诉如来,让那玉帝让位。这天庭是我的了!”
Wukong was just about to jump back when he thought of something.
悟空刚要回去,突然想起来了点儿什么。
"There's nobody around," he thought. "How will I prove that I was here?"
“这儿一个人都没有。”他想。“我要怎么证明我来过这里呢?”
He tapped his chin. "I'll write a note on this pillar. Buddha can come here and check."
他摸了摸下巴。“我就在这柱子上写句话吧!如来可以自己来确认。”
Wukong plucked two hairs and turned them into a brush and ink jar.
悟空拔下两根毫毛,变出了一支笔和一瓶墨水。
On one of the pillars, he wrote: Sun Wukong was here.
他在其中一根柱子上写下:齐天大圣到此一游。
"There," said Wukong. "Now I'll go and tell Buddha how far I jumped."
“好了!” 悟空说,“现在我就回去告诉如来我跳了多远。”
Sun Wukong leaped once more.
孙悟空又一个跟头翻了回去。
After a long time, he landed on Buddha's palm again.
过了好长时间,他回到了如来的手掌里。
"I'm back!" said Wukong. "Tell the Jade Emperor to leave."
“我回来了!”悟空说,“让那玉帝走吧。”
Buddha frowned. "How can you say you're back? You never left my hand."
如来皱起了眉头:“你怎么说你回来了?你从没离开过我的手掌。”
Wukong was confused. "Yes, I did! I reached the end of the world.
悟空不明白。“不,我离开了!我到了天边。
There were five enormous pillars. I even wrote on one. Come with me and I'll show you."
那里有五根巨大的柱子。我还在其中一根柱子上写字了。你可以跟我去看。”
"There's no need to go anywhere," said Buddha. "Just look down."
“我们哪儿都不用去。” 如来说,“你回头看看吧!”
Wukong looked down. Near the bottom of Buddha's middle finger was the note: Sun Wukong was here.
悟空回头一看。就在如来中指靠近底部的地方写着:齐天大圣到此一游。
Wukong stomped his foot. "It's a trick! You used some sort of magic!"
悟空跺脚。“你耍我!你一定是用了什么法术!”
"It's not a trick," said Buddha. "You never left my palm."
“这不是什么法术。”如来说,“你从未离开过我的手掌。”
"I did! I did!" cried Wukong. "I jumped all the way to—"
“我离开了!我离开了!”悟空高叫,“我一路跳出了......”
"You lost the bet, Sun Wukong," said Buddha. "And now you will be punished."
“你已经输了,孙悟空!”如来说,“现在你要受到惩罚。”
Holding Wukong tightly, Buddha reached down to Earth.
如来紧紧握着孙悟空将他放在了地上。
His hand turned into a mountain, which he placed on top of the monkey.
他的手掌变成了一座山,压在了孙悟空的身上。
"Grr!" Wukong grunted, and pushed with all his strength.
“啊!”悟空叫了一声,用尽所有力量挣扎。
The mountain started to rise.
压在他身上的那座山被抬起了一点。
Buddha pulled a small sheet of magic paper from his sleeve. He laid the paper on top of the mountain.
如来从他的衣袖中拿出了一张符咒,贴在了山顶上。
The mountain dropped back down.
那山又被压了回去。
Buddha turned to the Jade Emperor. "Sun Wukong can't lift the mountain now," he said.
如来转身对着玉帝。“现在,孙悟空无法再把这座山抬起来了。”他说,
"He will be trapped until his punishment is over."
“他会被困在这山下,直到他的惩罚结束。”