She was too ravenous to give any thanks, even if she had ever been taught politeness—which she had not.
她饿得连道谢都来不及,即使曾受过礼貌教育也罢——实际上她可没受过。
She was only a poor little wild animal.
她不过是只可怜的小野兽罢了。
"Good-bye," said Sara.
“再见了,”萨拉说。
When she reached the other side of the street she looked back. The child had a bun in each hand and had stopped in the middle of a bite to watch her.
她走到街对面,回头看看。那女孩一手一个面包,一口咬到一半,停下来望着萨拉。
Sara gave her a little nod, and the child, after another stare—a curious lingering stare—jerked her shaggy head in response,
萨拉向她微微点点头,而那孩子又望了一眼——这奇异的一眼持续了一会儿——然后猛地晃晃乱蓬蓬的头作回答,
and until Sara was out of sight she did not take another bite or even finish the one she had begun.
直到萨拉走得看不见了,才再咬一口面包,吃完已开始吃的那个面包。
At that moment the baker-woman looked out of her shop window.
此时那女面包师傅从橱窗后面向外望着。
"Well, I never!" she exclaimed. "If that young un hasn't given her buns to a beggar child!
“唷,真想不到!”她叫道。“那小家伙竟把她的面包给了那个要饭的孩子!
It wasn't because she didn't want them, either. Well, well, she looked hungry enough. I'd give something to know what she did it for."
这可并不是因为她自己不需要面包啊。唉,唉,她看起来饿得够呛。我巴不得弄明白她为什么要这样做。”
She stood behind her window for a few moments and pondered.
她在橱窗后站了一会儿,沉思着。
Then her curiosity got the better of her. She went to the door and spoke to the beggar child.
后来她的好奇心占了上风。她走到门口,对那要饭的孩子说话。
"Who gave you those buns?" she asked her.
“谁给你那些面包的?”她问道。
The child nodded her head toward Sara's vanishing figure.
孩子向萨拉正在渐渐消失的背影点点头。
"What did she say?" inquired the woman.
“她说了什么?”妇人问道。
"Axed me if I was 'ungry," replied the hoarse voice.
“问我是不是饿,”沙哑的话音回答。
"What did you say?"
“那你怎么说?”
"Said I was jist."
“说我很饿。”
"And then she came in and got the buns, and gave them to you, did she?"
“后来她就进来,拿了面包,把它们给你,是不是?”
The child nodded.
孩子点点头。
"How many?"
“给了多少?”
"Five."
“五个。”
The woman thought it over.
那妇人仔细思量着。
"Left just one for herself," she said in a low voice. "And she could have eaten the whole six—I saw it in her eyes."
“只给自己留下一个,”她低声说,“而她是能把六个全吃下去的——我从她眼神中看得出来。”
She looked after the little draggled far-away figure and felt more disturbed in her usually comfortable mind than she had felt for many a day.
她望着那慢吞吞地去远的小身影,一向舒坦的心好久以来没有感到这样不安过。
"I wish she hadn't gone so quick," she said. "I'm blest if she shouldn't have had a dozen."
“但愿她没有这么快就走掉,”她说。“我真该死,没让她得到一打面包。”
Then she turned to the child."Are you hungry yet?" she said.
随后她转向那要饭的孩子。“你现在还饿吗?”她说。