Just to look at her made Sara more hungry and faint.
仅仅看着她就使得萨拉感到更饥饿更昏眩了。
But those queer little thoughts were at work in her brain, and she was talking to herself, though she was sick at heart.
但那些奇特的小念头在她脑中活动着,她在对自己说话,虽然心里感到恶心。
"If I'm a princess," she was saying, "if I'm a princess—when they were poor and driven from their thrones—
“如果我是位公主,”她说着——“如果我是位公主——当她们陷于贫困中,被赶出王室时——
they always shared—with the populace—if they met one poorer and hungrier than themselves.
如果遇到一个更贫困更饥饿的平民百姓——她们总是同他分享自己的东西。
They always shared. Buns are a penny each. If it had been sixpence I could have eaten six.
她们总是分享的。圆面包一便士一个。如果那是个六便士的,我就能吃下六个。
It won't be enough for either of us. But it will be better than nothing."
这钱还不够我们中一人用。但总比没有强啊。”
"Wait a minute," she said to the beggar child.
“等一下,”她对那要饭的孩子说。
She went into the shop. It was warm and smelled deliciously. The woman was just going to put some more hot buns into the window.
她走进面包店。里面很暖和,香味扑鼻。那妇人正要往橱窗里再放一些热的圆面包。
"If you please," said Sara, "have you lost fourpence—a silver fourpence?" And she held the forlorn little piece of money out to her.
“对不起,”萨拉说,“你丢过四便士——枚四便士的银币吗?”她把那枚被遗弃的小银币伸到她面前。
The woman looked at it and then at her—at her intense little face and draggled, once fine clothes.
那妇人望望银币,又望望她——望着她那紧张的小脸儿和拖湿了的、曾一度美好的衣服。
"Bless us, no," she answered. "Did you find it?"
“愿上帝保佑我们!没有,”那妇人回答。“你捡到了吗?”
"Yes," said Sara. "In the gutter."
“是的,”萨拉说。“在街沟里。”
"Keep it, then," said the woman. "It may have been there for a week, and goodness knows who lost it. You could never find out."
“那你就留着吧,”那妇人说。“可能掉在那儿已有一星期了,天晓得是谁丢的。你是永远找不到失主的。”
"I know that," said Sara, "but I thought I would ask you."
“这我知道,”萨拉说,“但我想要问问你。”
"Not many would," said the woman, looking puzzled and interested and good-natured all at once.
“没有什么人会问的,”那妇人说,同时显出又纳闷又感兴趣又和善的样子。
"Do you want to buy something?" she added, as she saw Sara glance at the buns.
“你想买点什么吗?”她又说,看到萨拉瞥着圆面旬。
"Four buns, if you please," said Sara. "Those at a penny each."
“四个圆面包,劳驾了,”萨拉说。“那些一便士一个的。”
The woman went to the window and put some in a paper bag.
那妇人到橱窗边往纸袋里装了几个。
Sara noticed that she put in six.
萨拉注意到她放进去了六个。
"I said four, if you please," she explained. "I have only fourpence."
“对不起,我说的是四个,”她解释道。“我只有四便士。”