Again Wendy forgot herself.
温迪又禁不住失声叫了起来。
"Never!" she cried, and bobbed.
“绝不!”她喊道,头在水面上冒了一下。
"What was that?"
“那是什么?”
But they could see nothing. They thought it must have been a leaf in the wind. "Do you agree, my bullies?" asked Hook.
什么也看不见,海盗们想,那一定是风吹的一片树叶响。“你们同意吗,伙计们?”胡克问。
"There is my hand on it," they both said.
“我举手赞成。”他们两个说。
"And there is my hook. Swear."
“我举钩宣誓。”
They all swore. By this time they were on the rock, and suddenly Hook remembered Tiger Lily.
他们都宣誓了。这时,他们都来到了岩石上,胡克忽然想起了虎莲。
"Where is the redskin?" he demanded abruptly.
“那个印第安女人在哪儿?”他突然问。
He had a playful humour at moments, and they thought this was one of the moments.
他有时喜欢开个玩笑逗趣儿,他们以为他是在开玩笑。
"That is all right, captain," Smee answered complacently; "we let her go."
“没问题,船长。”斯密美滋滋地回答,“我们把她放了。”
"Let her go!" cried Hook.
“把她放了!”胡克大叫。
"'Twas your own orders," the bo'sun faltered.
“那是你下的命令呀。”水手头结结巴巴地说。
"You called over the water to us to let her go," said Starkey.
“你在水里下的命令,叫我们把她放了。”斯塔奇说。
"Brimstone and gall," thundered Hook, "what cozening is going on here!"
“该死,”胡克暴跳如雷地喊,“搞什么鬼?”
His face had gone black with rage, but he saw that they believed their words, and he was startled.
他的脸气得发黑;可是,他看到他们说的是实话,不禁惊讶起来。
"Lads," he said, shaking a little, "I gave no such order."
“伙计们,”他有点颤抖地说,“我没发过这样的命令。”
"It is passing queer," Smee said, and they all fidgeted uncomfortably. Hook raised his voice, but there was a quiver in it.
“这可怪了。”斯密说。他们全都心慌意乱起来。胡克提高了声音,可他的声音带着颤抖。
"Spirit that haunts this dark lagoon to-night," he cried, "dost hear me?"
“今夜在湖上游荡的精灵鬼怪呀,”他喊道,“你们听到了吗?”
Of course Peter should have kept quiet, but of course he did not. He immediately answered in Hook's voice:
彼得当然应该不出声,可是,他当然非出声不可。他马上学着胡克的声音回答。
"Odds, bobs, hammer and tongs, I hear you."
“见你的鬼,我听到了。”
In that supreme moment Hook did not blanch, even at the gills, but Smee and Starkey clung to each other in terror.
在这个节骨眼上,胡克连脸都没有发白,可是斯密和斯塔奇吓得抱作一团。