"Who are you, stranger? Speak!" Hook demanded.
“喂,你是谁?你说。”胡克问。
"I am James Hook," replied the voice, "captain of the Jolly Roger."
“我是詹姆斯·胡克,”那个声音回答,“快乐的罗杰号船长。”
"You are not; you are not," Hook cried hoarsely.
“你不是,你不是。”胡克哑着嗓子喊。
"Brimstone and gall," the voice retorted, "say that again, and I'll cast anchor in you."
“该死,”那声音反唇相讥,“你再说一句,我就在你身上抛锚。”
Hook tried a more ingratiating manner. "If you are Hook," he said almost humbly, "come tell me, who am I?"
胡克换了一副讨好的态度。“如果你是胡克,”他几乎是低三下四地说,“那么,告诉我,我又是谁?”
"A codfish," replied the voice, "only a codfish."
“一条鳘鱼,”那个声音回答,“只不过是一条鳘鱼。”
"A codfish!" Hook echoed blankly, and it was then, but not till then, that his proud spirit broke. He saw his men draw back from him.
“一条鳘鱼!”胡克茫然地重复了一句;他那一直鼓得足足的傲气,这时突然泄了气,他看到他的部下从他身边走开了。
"Have we been captained all this time by a codfish!" they muttered. "It is lowering to our pride."
“难道我们一直拥戴一条鳘鱼作船长吗?”他们嚷嚷着说,“这可是降低我们的身份了。”
They were his dogs snapping at him, but, tragic figure though he had become, he scarcely heeded them.
他们原是胡克的狗,反倒咬了他一口;胡克虽然落到这一步,可是他并不太注意他们。
Against such fearful evidence it was not their belief in him that he needed, it was his own. He felt his ego slipping from him.
要反驳这样一个可怕的胡说,他需要的,不是他们对他的信任,而是他的自信。他觉得,他的自我从他身上溜走了。
"Don't desert me, bully," he whispered hoarsely to it.
“别丢下我,伙计们。”他哑着嗓子低声说。
In his dark nature there was a touch of the feminine, as in all the great pirates, and it sometimes gave him intuitions.
他那凶悍的天性里,带有一点女性的特色,所有大海盗都一样,有时也会因此得到一些直觉。
Suddenly he tried the guessing game.
忽然他想试一试猜谜游戏。
"Hook," he called, "have you another voice?"
“胡克,”他问,“你还有别的声音吗?”
Now Peter could never resist a game, and he answered blithely in his own voice, "I have."
要知道,遇到游戏,彼得总是禁不住要玩的。于是他用自己的声音快活的回答:“有啊。”
"And another name?" "Ay, ay."
“你还有一个名字吗?”“有的,有的。”
"Vegetable?" asked Hook."No."
“蔬菜?”胡克问。“不是。"
"Mineral?" "No."
“矿物?”“不是。”
"Animal?" "Yes."
“动物? “是的。”
"Man?"
”男人!”
"No!" This answer rang out scornfully.
“不是!”彼得嘹亮地回答,声音里带着轻蔑。
"Boy?" "Yes."
“男孩?”“对了。”
"Ordinary boy?" "No!"
“普通的男孩?”“不是!”
"Wonderful boy?"
“奇异的男孩?
To Wendy's pain the answer that rang out this time was "Yes."
温迪苦恼地听着,这次的回答是“是”。