His courage was almost appalling. "Would you like an adventure now,"
彼得的胆量真叫人吃惊。“你现在是想去冒险呢,”
he said casually to John, "or would you like to have your tea first?"
他偶然对约翰说,“还是想先吃茶点?”
Wendy said "tea first" quickly, and Michael pressed her hand in gratitude, but the braver John hesitated.
温迪很快地说“先吃茶点”,迈克尔感激地捏了捏她的手,可是,较勇敢的约翰犹豫不决。
"What kind of adventure?" he asked cautiously.
“什么样的冒险?”他小心地问。
"There's a pirate asleep in the pampas just beneath us," Peter told him. "If you like, we’ll go down and kill him."
“就在我们下面的草原上,睡着一个海盗,”彼得对他说,“要是你愿意,我们可以下去杀死他。”
"I don’t see him," John said after a long pause. "I do."
“我没有看见他。”约翰停了半晌说。“我看见了。”
"Suppose," John said, a little huskily, "he were to wake up."
“要是,”约翰沙哑着嗓子说,“要是他醒了呢?”
Peter spoke indignantly. "You don’t think I would kill him while he was sleeping! I would wake him first, and then kill him. That’s the way I always do."
彼得生气地说:“你以为我是趁他睡着了杀死他吗!我要先把他叫醒,再杀他。我向来是这么干的。”
"I say! Do you kill many?" "Tons."
“啊呀!你杀过许多海盗吗?” “成吨的海盗。”
John said "How ripping," but decided to have tea first.
约翰说:“真棒。”不过他决定还是先吃茶点好。
He asked if there were many pirates on the island just now, and Peter said he had never known so many.
他问彼得,现在岛上是不是还有许多海盗。彼得说,多着呐,从来没有这么多过。
"Who is captain now?"
“现在谁是船长?”
"Hook," answered Peter, and his face became very stern as he said that hated word.
“胡克。”彼得回答说;说到这个可恨的名字,他的脸沉了下来。
"Jas. Hook?" "Ay."
“詹姆斯·胡克?” “然也。”
Then indeed Michael began to cry, and even John could speak in gulps only, for they knew Hook’s reputation.
于是迈克尔真的哭了起来,就连约翰说话也咽着气了,因为他们久闻胡克的恶名了。
"He was Blackbeard’s bo’sun," John whispered huskily. "He is the worst of them all. He is the only man of whom Barbecue was afraid."
“他是那黑胡子水手长,”约翰哑着嗓子低声说,“他是最凶狠的一个,巴比克就怕他一个人。”
"That’s him," said Peter.
“就是他。”彼得说。
"What is he like? Is he big?" "He is not so big as he was."
“他长什么样?个头大吗?” “他不像以前那么大了。”
"How do you mean?" "I cut off a bit of him."
“怎么讲?” “我从他身上砍掉一块。”
"You!" "Yes, me," said Peter sharply.
“你?” “不错,我。”彼得厉声说。