A succulent hash arrived, and Mr. Wolfshiem, forgetting the more sentimental atmosphere of the old Metropole, began to eat with ferocious delicacy.
一道多汁的杂烩菜上来了,沃尔夫山姆先生忘记了老大都会多愁善感的故事,开始狼吞虎咽地吃起来。
His eyes, meanwhile, roved very slowly all around the room--he completed the arc by turning to inspect the people directly behind.
与此同时,他的眼睛从身前缓慢地转到身后,仔细打量着身后的人,扫视了整个房间。
I think that, except for my presence, he would have taken one short glance beneath our own table.
我想,要不是我在场,他会在我们自己的桌子底下也短暂地看一眼的。
"Look here, old sport," said Gatsby, leaning toward me, "I'm afraid I made you a little angry this morning in the car."
“听着,老兄,”盖茨比说着向我倾过身来,“今天早上在车上,我恐怕让你有点生气了。”
There was the smile again, but this time I held out against it.
他的笑容又出现了,但这次我无动于衷。
"I don't like mysteries," I answered.
“我不喜欢神秘,”我回答。
"And I don't understand why you won't come out frankly and tell me what you want. Why has it all got to come through Miss Baker?"
“我不明白你为什么不坦率地告诉我你想要什么。为什么这一切都要经过贝克小姐的同意呢?”
"Oh, it's nothing underhand," he assured me.
“哦,这不是什么见不得人的事,”他向我保证。
"Miss Baker's a great sportswoman, you know, and she'd never do anything that wasn't all right."
“你知道,贝克小姐是个了不起的女运动员,她决不会做任何不好的事。”
Suddenly he looked at his watch, jumped up and hurried from the room leaving me with Mr. Wolfshiem at the table.
他突然看了看表,跳了起来,匆匆离开了房间,留下我和沃尔夫山姆先生坐在桌旁。
"He has to telephone," said Mr. Wolfshiem, following him with his eyes.
“他得打电话,”沃尔夫山姆先生说,眼睛盯着他。
"Fine fellow, isn't he? Handsome to look at and a perfect gentleman."
“好人,是不是?”他长得帅气,也是个十足的绅士。”
"Yes."
“是的。”
"He's an Oggsford man."
“他在牛劲读书。”
"Oh!"
“噢!”
"He went to Oggsford College in England. You know Oggsford College?"
“他去了英国的牛劲读书。你知道牛劲吧?”
"I've heard of it."
“我听说过。”
"It's one of the most famous colleges in the world."
“它是世界上最著名的大学之一。”
"Have you known Gatsby for a long time?" I inquired.
“你认识盖茨比很久了吗?”我问道。
"Several years," he answered in a gratified way.
“好几年了,”他满意地回答。
"I made the pleasure of his acquaintance just after the war. But I knew I had discovered a man of fine breeding after I talked with him an hour.
“战后不久,我有幸与他相识。但是,只和他交谈了一个小时以后,我就知道我已经交到了一个有教养的朋友。
I said to myself: 'There's the kind of man you'd like to take home and introduce to your mother and sister.' "
我对自己说:‘有这样一种人,你愿意带回家,介绍给你的母亲和姐姐。' "
He paused. "I see you're looking at my cuff buttons."
他停顿了一下。“我知道你在看我的袖口纽扣。”
I hadn't been looking at them, but I did now. They were composed of oddly familiar pieces of ivory.
我其实没在看,但现在看了。它们是用几片小象牙制作的,看着眼熟得奇怪。
"Finest specimens of human molars," he informed me.
“这是极好的人类臼齿的标本,”他告诉我。
"Well!" I inspected them. "That's a very interesting idea."
“好吧!”我认真观察了它们。“这是一个非常有趣的想法。”
"Yeah." He flipped his sleeves up under his coat.
“是的。”他把袖子缩回外套下面。