Jordan Baker instinctively avoided clever shrewd men and now I saw that
乔丹·贝克本能地避开那些精明的人,现在我明白了为什么,
this was because she felt safer on a plane where any divergence from a code would be thought impossible.
这是因为她觉得在循规蹈矩的社会圈子里活动比较保险。
She was incurably dishonest.
她极其不诚实。
She wasn't able to endure being at a disadvantage, and given this unwillingness I suppose she had begun dealing in subterfuges
她不能忍受自己处于不利地位,考虑到这一点,我想她从小时候就已经开始耍花招了,
when she was very young in order to keep that cool, insolent smile turned to the world and yet satisfy the demands of her hard jaunty body.
这样才能保持她那冷静而傲慢的微笑,同时又满足了她身体结实的需要。
It made no difference to me.
这对我没有影响。
Dishonesty in a woman is a thing you never blame deeply--I was casually sorry, and then I forgot.
女人不诚实,这是司空见惯的事情——我会稍微有点感到惋惜,然后就忘记这件事。
It was on that same house party that we had a curious conversation about driving a car.
就是在那次家庭聚会上,我们就开车的事进行了一次有趣的谈话。
It started because she passed so close to some workmen that our fender flicked a button on one man's coat.
事情发生的原因是,她从几个工人身边经过时离得太近了,结果我们的挡泥板碰了一下一个工人上衣上的纽扣。
"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful or you oughtn't to drive at all."
“你是个粗心的司机,”我抗议道。“你要么小心一点,要么根本就别开车。”
"I am careful."
“我很小心。”
"No, you're not."
“不,你不小心。”
"Well, other people are," she said lightly.
“不要紧,反正别人很小心,”她轻描淡写地说。
"What's that got to do with it?"
“这跟你开车有什么关系?”
"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."
“他们会躲开我的,”她坚持说。“制造事故需要两个人。”
"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."
“假设你遇到一个和你一样粗心的人。”
"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."
“我希望我永远也不会,”她回答。“我讨厌粗心的人。这就是我喜欢你的原因。”
Her grey, sun-strained eyes stared straight ahead, but she had deliberately shifted our relations,
她那双被阳光照得眯紧的灰色眼睛直视着前方,但她故意改变了我们的关系,
and for a moment I thought I loved her.
有那么一刻,我以为我爱上了她。
But I am slow-thinking and full of interior rules that act as brakes on my desires,
但我思维迟缓,内心充满了条条框框,这些条条框框限制了我的欲望,
and I knew that first I had to get myself definitely out of that tangle back home.
我知道,首先我必须先摆脱家乡恋情的纠葛。
I'd been writing letters once a week and signing them: "Love, Nick,"
我每周写一封信,并在信上签名:“爱你的,尼克。”
and all I could think of was how, when that certain girl played tennis, a faint mustache of perspiration appeared on her upper lip.
但我对她的唯一印象,就是当她打网球时,上唇会冒出一缕汗珠。
Nevertheless there was a vague understanding that had to be tactfully broken off before I was free.
但在我重获自由之前,必须先委婉地解除这段含糊的恋爱关系。
Every one suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known.
每个人都认为自己具有至少一种主要的美德,而我的美德就是:我是我所认识的为数不多的几个诚实的人之一。