But as I walked down the steps I saw that the evening was not quite over.
但是,当我走下台阶时,我发现晚会还没有完全结束。
Fifty feet from the door a dozen headlights illuminated a bizarre and tumultuous scene.
离门口五十英尺的地方,十几盏车灯照出了一幅奇异而混乱的景象。
In the ditch beside the road, right side up but violently shorn of one wheel,
一辆新轿式小轿车右侧朝上陷进了路边的沟里,被狠狠地撞掉了一个轮子,
rested a new coupé?which had left Gatsby's drive not two minutes before.
这辆车不到两分钟以前驶离了盖茨比的车道。
The sharp jut of a wall accounted for the detachment of the wheel which was now getting considerable attention from half a dozen curious chauffeurs.
一堵墙的突出部分造成了轮子的脱落,现在引起了六七个好奇的司机的注意。
However, as they had left their cars blocking the road a harsh discordant din from those in the rear had been audible for some time
他们把车停下,堵住了马路,被堵在后面的人不断发出刺耳的抱怨,
and added to the already violent confusion of the scene.
使本就混乱的局面更加混乱。
A man in a long duster had dismounted from the wreck and now stood in the middle of the road,
一个穿着长外衣的人从车上下来,站在路中间,
looking from the car to the tire and from the tire to the observers in a pleasant, puzzled way.
以一种愉快而疑惑的方式从车身看到轮胎,又从轮胎看到旁观者。
"See!" he explained. "It went in the ditch."
“看!”他解释道。“它开进沟里了。”
The fact was infinitely astonishing to him--and I recognized first the unusual quality of wonder and then the man--it was the late patron of Gatsby's library.
这个事实对他来说是极其惊人的——我首先认识到这种不寻常的惊奇的口气,然后才意识到这个人就是我在盖茨比的图书室见到的人。
"How'd it happen?"
“这是怎么发生的?”
He shrugged his shoulders.
他耸了耸肩。
"I know nothing whatever about mechanics," he said decisively.
“我对机械一窍不通,”他果断地说。
"But how did it happen? Did you run into the wall?"
“可是这是怎么发生的呢?你撞到墙了吗?”
"Don't ask me," said Owl Eyes, washing his hands of the whole matter."I know very little about driving--next to nothing. It happened,and that's all I know."
“别问我,”猫头鹰眼睛说着,对这件事撒手不管了。“我对开车知之甚少——几乎一无所知。事情发生了,我就知道这些。”
"Well, if you're a poor driver you oughtn't to try driving at night."
“嗯,如果你不太会开车,就不应该尝试在晚上开。”
"But I wasn't even trying," he explained indignantly, "I wasn't even trying."
“可我根本就没试,”他愤怒地解释道,“我根本就没试。”
An awed hush fell upon the bystanders.
周围的人顿时肃然起敬。
"Do you want to commit suicide?"
“你想自杀吗?”
"You're lucky it was just a wheel! A bad driver and not even TRYing!"
“你很幸运,只是掉了一个轮子!开车都开不好,连试都不愿意试!”
"You don't understand," explained the criminal. "I wasn't driving. There's another man in the car."
“你不明白,”罪犯解释道。“不是我开的车。车里还有一个人。”