“There will be no siege.
“不会有什么围城。
Perhaps they will spend a day or two fashioning ladders and tying grapnels to the ends of ropes.
起初一两天,他们或许会扎营下来加工云梯,捆扎爪钩。
But soon enough they will come over your walls in a hundred places at once.
一旦准备完毕,您的城墙会在上百个地点被同时突破。
You may be able to hold the keep for a time, but the castle will fall within the hour.
您也许可以退到主堡固守一时,但其他地方会在一个小时之内沦陷。
You would do better to open your gates and ask for—”
与其那样,您还不如打开城门,请求——”
“—mercy? I know what kind of mercy they have for me.”
“——他们发发慈悲?他们会给什么慈悲我清楚得很。”
“There is a way.”
“这不失为一种选择。”
“I am ironborn,” Theon reminded him.
“我是天生的铁种,”席恩提醒对方。
“I have my own way.
“我有自己的选择。
What choice have they left me?
他们给过我选择吗?
No, don’t answer, I’ve heard enough of your counsel.
不,不用回答,我已经听够了你的‘谏言’。
Go and send those birds as I commanded, and tell Lorren I want to see him.
照我的命令去办,放出渡鸦,叫罗伦来见我。
And Wex as well.
还有威克斯,
I’ll have my mail scoured clean, and my garrison assembled in the yard.”
让他把我的盔甲擦拭干净。通知守卫在广场上全体集合。”
For a moment he thought the maester was going to defy him.
片刻之间他以为学士就要抗命,
But finally Luwin bowed stiffly.
但鲁温最终只僵硬的一鞠躬,
“As you command.”
“遵命。”
They made a pitifully small assembly; the ironmen were few, the yard large.
他的队伍小得可怜:寥寥无几的铁民,空旷寂寞的广场。
“The northmen will be on us before nightfall,” he told them.
“入夜之前,北方人就要到了,”他告诉他们。
“Ser Rodrik Cassel and all the lords who have come to his call.
“罗德利克爵士带着所有应召的诸侯一起杀来,
I will not run from them.
但我决不临阵脱逃。
I took this castle and I mean to hold it, to live or die as Prince of Winterfell.
我夺下了这里,我要守住这里,无论是生是死,我都是临冬城的亲王。
But I will not command any man to die with me.
然而,我不勉强任何人为我而死,
If you leave now, before Ser Rodrik’s main force is upon us, there’s still a chance you may win free.”
趁罗德利克爵士的主力部队尚未到达,想走的人赶紧撤退,应该有逃命的机会。”
He unsheathed his longsword and drew a line in the dirt.
他拔出长剑,在地上划了道横线。
“Those who would stay and fight, step forward.”
“想留下来作战的人,请上前。”
No one spoke.
无人回话。
The men stood in their mail and fur and boiled leather, as still as if they were made of stone.
穿着锁甲、皮衣和镶钉皮甲的众人,纹丝不动,好似石雕。
A few exchanged looks.
少数几个人交换着眼神。
Urzen shuffled his feet.
乌兹的脚挪了挪重心。
Dykk Harlaw hawked and spat.
迪克·哈尔洛清清喉咙,吐出一口痰。
A finger of wind ruffled Endehar’s long fair hair.
清风的手指弄乱了安德哈整洁的长发。
Theon felt as though he were drowning.
席恩觉得自己正是下沉溺毙中的人。
Why am I surprised? he thought bleakly.
干嘛吃惊?他凄凉地想。
His father had forsaken him, his uncles, his sister, even that wretched creature Reek.
父亲遗弃了我,姐姐、叔叔、连那个狡猾的怪物臭佬,他们统统都抛弃了我。
Why should his men prove any more loyal?
既然如此,我的手下又何必对我忠诚?
There was nothing to say, nothing to do.
没什么可说的了,没什么可做的了。
He could only stand there beneath the great grey walls and the hard white sky, sword in hand, waiting, waiting …
我只好站在这雄伟高大的灰城墙下,在这严酷苍白的晴空底下,手握长剑,等着,等着……