"Don't do it today," Gatsby answered.
“今天别搞。”盖茨比回答。
He turned to me apologetically."You know, old sport, I've never used that pool all summer?"
他抱歉地转向我。“你知道吗,老兄,我整个夏天都没有用过那个游泳池。”
I looked at my watch and stood up.
我看了看表,站了起来。
"Twelve minutes to my train."
“离我的火车还有12分钟。”
I didn't want to go to the city.
我不想去城里。
I wasn't worth a decent stroke of work but it was more than that--I didn't want to leave Gatsby.
我没有体面的工作,但还不止这些——我不想离开盖茨比。
I missed that train, and then another, before I could get myself away.
我没赶上那趟火车,又误了下一班,然后才勉强离开。
"I'll call you up," I said finally.
“我给你打电话。”我最后说。
"Do, old sport."
“一定,老兄。”
"I'll call you about noon."
“我大约中午给你打电话。”
We walked slowly down the steps.
我们慢慢地走下台阶。
"I suppose Daisy'll call too." He looked at me anxiously as if he hoped I'd corroborate this.
“我想黛西也会打电话来的。”他焦急地看着我,似乎希望我能证实这一点。
"I suppose so."
“我想是这样。”
"Well--goodbye."
“那么,再见。”
We shook hands and I started away.
我们握了握手,我就走了。
Just before I reached the hedge I remembered something and turned around.
就在我走到树篱前,我想起了一件事,便转过身来。
"They're a rotten crowd," I shouted across the lawn.
“他们是一群混蛋,”我隔着草坪喊道。
"You're worth the whole damn bunch put together."
“他们那一大帮子都加在一起也比不上你。”
I've always been glad I said that. It was the only compliment I ever gave him, because I disapproved of him from beginning to end.
我一直很高兴我这么说。这是我对他唯一的赞美,因为我从头到尾都不赞成他。
First he nodded politely, and then his face broke into that radiant and understanding smile,
他先是礼貌地点了点头,然后脸上露出了那种容光焕发的会意的微笑,
as if we'd been in ecstatic cahoots on that fact all the time.
就好像我们一起在为这个事实而狂喜。
His gorgeous pink rag of a suit made a bright spot of color against the white steps and I thought of the night
他那件华丽的粉红色衣服在白色的台阶上形成了一道明亮的色斑,我想起了那个夜晚
when I first came to his ancestral home three months before.
三个月前,我第一次来到他的别墅。
The lawn and drive had been crowded with the faces of those who guessed at his corruption--
草坪和车道上挤满了那些猜测他腐败的人们的面孔——
and he had stood on those steps, concealing his incorruptible dream, as he waved them goodbye.
当他向他们挥手告别的时候,他已经站在那些台阶上,隐藏着他那不朽的梦想。
I thanked him for his hospitality.
我感谢他的招待。
We were always thanking him for that--I and the others.
我们总是为此感谢他——我和其他人。
"Goodbye," I called. "I enjoyed breakfast, Gatsby."
“再见,”我叫着。“谢谢你的早饭,盖茨比。”