"What's been going on? I want to hear all about it."
“发生了什么事?我想听听这一切。”
"I told you what's been going on," said Gatsby. "Going on for five years--and you didn't know."
“我告诉过你发生了什么事。”盖茨比说。“五年了——你不知道。”
Tom turned to Daisy sharply.
汤姆严厉地转向黛西。
"You've been seeing this fellow for five years?"
“你五年来一直和这家伙见面?”
"Not seeing," said Gatsby.
“没有见面。”盖茨比说。
"No, we couldn't meet. But both of us loved each other all that time, old sport, and you didn't know.
“不,我们没有见面。但我们俩一直都爱着对方,老兄,而你不知道。
I used to laugh sometimes--"but there was no laughter in his eyes, "to think that you didn't know."
我有时会笑——”但他的眼睛里没有笑意,“因为你不知道这些。”
"Oh--that's all." Tom tapped his thick fingers together like a clergyman and leaned back in his chair.
“哦——仅此而已。”汤姆像个牧师似的用他的粗手指敲了敲,身子往后靠了靠椅子。
"You're crazy!" he exploded.
“你疯了!”他大骂。
"I can't speak about what happened five years ago, because I didn't know Daisy then--
“我不能谈论五年前发生的事,因为那时我不认识黛西——
and I'll be damned if I see how you got within a mile of her unless you brought the groceries to the backdoor.
可是我怎么也想不通你怎么能沾到她的边,除非你是把食品杂货送到她家后门口的。
But all the rest of that's a God Damned lie.
但其余的都是该死的谎言。
Daisy loved me when she married me and she loves me now."
黛西嫁给我的时候爱过我,现在她也爱我。”
"No," said Gatsby, shaking his head.
“没有。”盖茨比摇着头说。
"She does, though. The trouble is that sometimes she gets foolish ideas in her head and doesn't know what she's doing."
“有。问题是,有时候她脑子里有些愚蠢的想法,她根本不知道自己在做什么。”
He nodded sagely.
他点了点头。
"And what's more, I love Daisy too. Once in a while I go off on a spree and make a fool of myself, but I always come back, and in my heart I love her all the time."
更重要的是,我也爱黛西。我偶尔会出去狂欢一番,让自己出丑,但我总会回来的,我一直爱着她。”
"You're revolting," said Daisy.
“你真讨厌,”黛西说。
She turned to me, and her voice, dropping an octave lower, filled the room with thrilling scorn:
她转向我,她的声音降低了一个八度,使房间里充满了令人毛骨悚然的轻蔑:
"Do you know why we left Chicago? I'm surprised that they didn't treat you to the story of that little spree."
“你知道我们为什么离开芝加哥吗?”我很奇怪,他们没有给你讲那个小胡闹的故事。”
Gatsby walked over and stood beside her.
盖茨比走过去站在她身边。
"Daisy, that's all over now," he said earnestly.
“黛西,现在一切都过去了,”他认真地说。
"It doesn't matter anymore. Just tell him the truth--that you never loved him--and it's all wiped out forever."
“这已经不重要了。你只要告诉他真相——你从来没有爱过他——一切就永远完了。”
She looked at him blindly. "Why,--how could I love him--possibly?"
她茫然地看着他。“怎么,——我怎么会爱他呢——可能吗?”
"You never loved him."
“你从来没有爱过他。”
She hesitated. Her eyes fell on Jordan and me with a sort of appeal, as though she realized at last what she was doing--
她犹豫了一下。她的目光带着一种恳求的神情落在乔丹和我身上,仿佛她终于明白了自己在做什么——
and as though she had never, all along, intended doing anything at all.
仿佛她从来就没有打算做任何事情似的。