"Well, he said he knew you. He said he was raised in Louisville.
“嗯,他说他认识你。他说他是在路易斯维尔长大的。
Asa Bird brought him around at the last minute and asked if we had room for him." Jordan smiled.
阿萨·伯德在最后一刻把他带回来,问我们是否有地方给他。”乔丹笑了。
"He was probably bumming his way home. He told me he was president of your class at Yale."
“他可能是不花钱搭车回家。他告诉我他是你们耶鲁的班长。”
Tom and I looked at each other blankly.
汤姆和我面面相觑。
"Biloxi?"
“比洛克西?”
"First place, we didn't have any president----"
“首先,我们没有班长——”
Gatsby's foot beat a short, restless tattoo and Tom eyed him suddenly.
盖茨比的脚不耐烦地连敲了几声,汤姆突然盯着他。
"By the way, Mr. Gatsby, I understand you're an Oxford man."
“顺便说一句,盖茨比先生,我知道你是牛津人。”
"Not exactly."
“不完全是。”
"Oh, yes, I understand you went to Oxford."
“哦,是的,我听说你上过牛津大学。”
"Yes--I went there."
“是的,我在那里上过学。”
A pause. Then Tom's voice, incredulous and insulting:
停了一会,接着是汤姆的声音,怀疑而又侮辱地说:
"You must have gone there about the time Biloxi went to New Haven."
“你大概是在比洛克西去纽黑文的时候去的吧。”
Another pause.
又停了一会。
A waiter knocked and came in with crushed mint and ice but the silence was unbroken by his "Thank you" and the soft closing of the door.
一个侍者敲了敲门,拿着碎薄荷糖和冰块进来了,但他的“谢谢”和轻轻的关门也没能打破了寂静。
This tremendous detail was to be cleared up at last.
这个巨大的细节终于要弄清楚了。
"I told you I went there," said Gatsby.
“我告诉过你我去过那儿。”盖茨比说。
"I heard you, but I'd like to know when."
“我听见了,但我想知道是什么时候。”
"It was in nineteen-nineteen, I only stayed five months. That's why I can't really call myself an Oxford man."
“那是在1919年,我只待了5个月。这就是我不能称自己为牛津人的原因。”
Tom glanced around to see if we mirrored his unbelief.
汤姆环顾四周,看看我们是否和他一样不相信。
But we were all looking at Gatsby.
但我们都看着盖茨比。
"It was an opportunity they gave to some of the officers after the Armistice," he continued. "We could go to any of the universities in England or France."
“这是停战后他们给一些军官的机会,”他继续说。“我们可以去英国或法国的任何一所大学。”
I wanted to get up and slap him on the back.
我真想站起来拍拍他的肩膀。
I had one of those renewals of complete faith in him that I'd experienced before.
我对他非常信任,这是我以前经历过的。
Daisy rose, smiling faintly, and went to the table.
黛西站了起来,微微一笑,走到桌边。
"Open the whiskey, Tom," she ordered.
“打开威士忌,汤姆,”她命令道。
"And I'll make you a mint julep. Then you won't seem so stupid to yourself. . . . Look at the mint!"
“我给你做一杯薄荷酒。这样你就不会觉得自己很蠢了……看那薄荷!”
"Wait a minute," snapped Tom, "I want to ask Mr. Gatsby one more question."
“等一等,”汤姆厉声说,“我还要问盖茨比先生一个问题。”
"Go on," Gatsby said politely.
“请问。”盖茨比客气地说。