"I'll pick it up," I offered.
“我来捡。”我提议道。
"I've got it." Gatsby examined the parted string, muttered "Hum!" in an interested way, and tossed the book on a chair.
“我捡到了。”盖茨比仔细看了看那根分开的绳子,饶有兴趣地咕哝了一声“哼!”然后把书扔在椅子上。
"That's a great expression of yours, isn't it?" said Tom sharply.
“那是你的口头禅,不是吗?”汤姆严厉地说。
"What is?"
“是什么?”
"All this 'old sport' business. Where'd you pick that up?"
“张口闭口都是‘老兄’。你从哪儿学来的?”
"Now see here, Tom," said Daisy, turning around from the mirror,
“你听着,汤姆,”黛西说着,从镜子前转过身来,
"if you're going to make personal remarks I won't stay here a minute. Call up and order some ice for the mint julep."
“如果你要发表人身攻击的话,我一分钟也不待在这儿了。打电话订些冰块做薄荷酒。”
As Tom took up the receiver the compressed heat exploded into sound
汤姆一拿起听筒,压缩的热量就爆炸成声音
and we were listening to the portentous chords of Mendelssohn's Wedding March from the ballroom below.
我们听着门德尔松的《婚礼进行曲》中惊心动魄的和弦从下面的舞厅传来。
"Imagine marrying anybody in this heat!" cried Jordan dismally.
“想象一下在这样热的天气里还有人结婚!”乔丹沮丧地叫道。
"Still--I was married in the middle of June," Daisy remembered,
“可是——我是六月中旬结的婚,”黛西回忆说,
"Louisville in June! Somebody fainted. Who was it fainted, Tom?"
“六月的路易斯维尔!有人晕倒了。是谁昏过去的,汤姆?”
"Biloxi," he answered shortly.
“比洛克西,”他简短地回答。
"A man named Biloxi. 'Blocks' Biloxi, and he made boxes--that's a fact--and he was from Biloxi, Tennessee."
“一个叫比洛克西的人。‘木头人’比洛克西,他做盒子——这是事实——他来自田纳西州比洛克西。”
"They carried him into my house," appended Jordan, "because we lived just two doors from the church.
“他们把他抬到我家,”乔丹补充说,“因为我们家离教堂只有两扇门。
And he stayed three weeks, until Daddy told him he had to get out.
他待了三个星期,直到爸爸叫他离开。
The day after he left Daddy died."
他走后的第二天,爸爸死了。”
After a moment she added as if she might have sounded irreverent, "There wasn't any connection."
过了一会儿,她又加了一句,好像她的话听起来很无礼,“这两件事中间没有任何联系。”
"I used to know a Bill Biloxi from Memphis," I remarked.
“我以前认识一个来自孟菲斯的比尔·比洛克西,”我说。
"That was his cousin. I knew his whole family history before he left.
“那是他的表弟。在他离开之前,我知道他的全部家史。
He gave me an aluminum putter that I use today."
他给了我一根高尔夫球的轻击棒,我今天还用着。”
The music had died down as the ceremony began and now a long cheer floated in at the window,
仪式开始时,音乐声渐渐消失了,现在窗户里飘进了悠长的欢呼声,
followed by intermittent cries of "Yea--ea--ea!"and finally by a burst of jazz as the dancing began.
接着是断断续续的叫喊声:“耶——耶——耶!”最后随着一阵爵士乐,舞蹈开始了。
"We're getting old," said Daisy. "If we were young we'd rise and dance."
“我们老了,”黛西说。“如果我们年轻,我们会站起来跳舞。”
"Remember Biloxi," Jordan warned her. "Where'd you know him, Tom?"
“记住比洛克西,”乔丹警告她。“你在哪儿认识他的,汤姆?”
"Biloxi?" He concentrated with an effort.
“比洛克西?”他努力集中精神。
"I didn't know him. He was a friend of Daisy's."
“我不认识他。他是黛西的朋友。”
"He was not," she denied. "I'd never seen him before. He came down in the private car."
“他不是,”她否认。“我以前从没见过他。他是坐私家车来的。”