But it was done now. It was too late.
但是现在已经事情已经干了。太晚了。
"I never loved him," she said, with perceptible reluctance.
“我从来没有爱过他,”她说,显然有点勉强。
"Not at Kapiolani?" demanded Tom suddenly.
“在凯皮奥兰尼时也没爱过吗?”汤姆突然质问道。
"No."
“没有。”
From the ballroom beneath, muffled and suffocating chords were drifting upon hot waves of air.
从下面的舞厅里,沉闷的、令人窒息的和弦在热气腾腾的空气中飘荡。
"Not that day I carried you down from the Punch Bowl to keep your shoes dry?"
“不是那天我把你从甜酒钵里抱出来,不让你鞋子沾湿,你也不爱我吗?”
There was a husky tenderness in his tone.
他的语气中有一种沙哑的温柔。
". . . Daisy?" "Please don't."
“……黛西?”——“请别说了。”
Her voice was cold, but the rancour was gone from it. She looked at Gatsby.
她的声音很冷淡,但仇恨已经消失了。她看着盖茨比。
"There, Jay," she said--but her hand as she tried to light a cigarette was trembling.
“好了,杰,”她说——但她试图点燃香烟时,手在发抖。
Suddenly she threw the cigarette and the burning match on the carpet.
她突然把香烟和点着的火柴扔到地毯上。
"Oh, you want too much!" she cried to Gatsby.
“啊,你要的太多了!”她对盖茨比喊道。
"I love you now--isn't that enough? I can't help what's past."
“我现在爱你——难道这还不够吗?过去的事我无能为力。”
She began to sob helplessly. "I did love him once--but I loved you too."
她开始无助地啜泣起来。“我曾经爱过他——但我也爱过你。”
Gatsby's eyes opened and closed.
盖茨比的眼睛睁了又闭。
"You loved me TOO?" he repeated.
“你也爱我?”他重复了一遍。
"Even that's a lie," said Tom savagely.
“就连这也是谎话,”汤姆恶狠狠地说。
"She didn't know you were alive. Why,-- there're things between Daisy and me that you'll never know, things that neither of us can ever forget."
“她不知道你还活着。唉——我和黛西之间有些事你永远也不会知道,有些事我们俩谁也忘不了。”
The words seemed to bite physically into Gatsby.
这些话似乎对盖茨比的心造成了影响。
"I want to speak to Daisy alone," he insisted. "She's all excited now----"
“我想和黛西单独谈谈,”他坚持说。“她现在很激动——”
"Even alone I can't say I never loved Tom," she admitted in a pitiful voice. "It wouldn't be true."
“即使只有我一个人,我也不能说我从来没有爱过汤姆,”她用可怜的声音承认道。“那不是真的。”
"Of course it wouldn't," agreed Tom.
“当然不会,”汤姆表示同意。
She turned to her husband.
她转向丈夫。
"As if it mattered to you," she said.
“好像这对你很重要似的,”她说。
"Of course it matters. I'm going to take better care of you from now on."
“当然重要。从现在起,我会更好地照顾你。”
"You don't understand," said Gatsby, with a touch of panic. "You're not going to take care of her any more."
“你不明白。”盖茨比说,带着一丝惊慌。“你没有机会再照顾她了。”
"I'm not?" Tom opened his eyes wide and laughed. He could afford to control himself now. "Why's that?"
“我没有机会?”汤姆睁大眼睛笑了。他现在能够控制自己了。“为什么?”
"Daisy's leaving you."
“黛西要离开你。”
"Nonsense."
“胡说八道。”