"I am, though," she said with a visible effort.
“不过,我确实要离开你了,”她说,显然很努力。
"She's not leaving me!" Tom's words suddenly leaned down over Gatsby.
“她不会离开我的!”汤姆的话突然俯冲在盖茨比身上。
"Certainly not for a common swindler who'd have to steal the ring he put on her finger."
“反正决不会为了一个骗子离开我,一个给她套在手指上的戒指也得去偷来的骗子。”
"I won't stand this!" cried Daisy. "Oh, please let's get out."
“我受不了!”黛西叫道。“哦,我们出去吧。”
"Who are you, anyhow?" broke out Tom.
“你到底是谁?”汤姆大叫。
"You're one of that bunch that hangs around with Meyer Wolfshiem -- that much I happen to know.
“你是和迈耶·沃尔夫山姆在一起的那群人中的一个——这一点我碰巧知道。
I've made a little investigation into your affairs--and I'll carry it further tomorrow."
我已经对你的事情调查了一下——明天再进一步调查。”
"You can suit yourself about that, old sport." said Gatsby steadily.
“这件事你自己看着办吧,老兄。”盖茨比沉着地说。
"I found out what your 'drug stores' were." He turned to us and spoke rapidly.
“我发现了你们的‘药店’。”他转向我们,语速很快。
"He and this Wolfshiem bought up a lot of side-street drug stores here and in Chicago and sold grain alcohol over the counter.
“他和这个沃尔夫山姆在这里和芝加哥买下了许多街边药店,在柜台上卖谷物酒。
That's one of his little stunts. I picked him for a bootlegger the first time I saw him and I wasn't far wrong."
这是他的小把戏之一。我第一次看到他的时候就把他当成了一个走私贩,我也没猜错多少。”
"What about it?" said Gatsby politely. "I guess your friend Walter Chase wasn't too proud to come in on it."
“怎么样?”盖茨比客气地说。“我猜你的朋友沃尔特·蔡斯不太愿意参与进来。”
"And you left him in the lurch, didn't you? You let him go to jail fora month over in New Jersey.
“你让他陷入困境,不是吗?”你让他在新泽西蹲了一个月的监狱。
God! You ought to hear Walter on the subject of YOU."
上帝!你应该听听沃尔特对你的看法。”
"He came to us dead broke. He was very glad to pick up some money, old sport."
“他来找我们的时候是个穷光蛋。他很高兴赚到一些钱,老兄。”
"Don't you call me ‘old sport’!" cried Tom.
“别叫我‘老兄’!”汤姆大喊。
Gatsby said nothing. "Walter could have you up on the betting laws too, but Wolfshiem scared him into shutting his mouth."
盖茨比什么也没说。“沃尔特也可告你违反赌博法,但沃尔夫山姆吓得他闭上了嘴。”
That unfamiliar yet recognizable look was back again in Gatsby's face.
盖茨比的脸上又出现了那种不熟悉而又容易辨认的表情。
"That drug store business was just small change," continued Tom slowly,
“那家药店的生意只是小意思,”汤姆慢吞吞地继续说,
"but you've got something on now that Walter's afraid to tell me about."
“但你现在有了其他事情,沃尔特却不敢告诉我。”
I glanced at Daisy who was staring terrified between Gatsby and her husband and at Jordan who had begun to balance an invisible but absorbing object on the tip of her chin.
我瞥了一眼黛西,她正惊恐地瞪着盖茨比和她丈夫之间的空隙;又瞧了瞧乔丹,她开始在她的下巴尖上使一个看不见但很吸引人的东西保持平衡。
Then I turned back to Gatsby--and was startled at his expression.
然后我转过身来对着盖茨比——他的表情使我吃了一惊。
He looked--and this is said in all contempt for the babbled slander of his garden--as if he had"killed a man."
他看上去就像刚“杀了个人”似的——我说这话可与他花园里的那些流言蜚语毫不关系。”
For a moment the set of his face could be described in just that fantastic way.
一刹那,他脸上的表情可以用那种荒唐的方式来描述。