"What kind of a row are you trying to cause in my house anyhow?"
“你到底想在我家里搞出什么乱子来?”
They were out in the open at last and Gatsby was content.
他们终于把话说明了,盖茨比心满意足。
"He isn't causing a row." Daisy looked desperately from one to the other.
“他没有引起争吵。”黛西绝望地看着一个人转到另一个人。
"You're causing a row. Please have a little self control."
“你引起了一场争吵。请控制一下自己。”
"Self control!" repeated Tom incredulously.
“控制我的情绪!”汤姆不敢相信地重复了一遍。
"I suppose the latest thing is to sit back and let Mr. Nobody from Nowhere make love to your wife.
“我猜想最时髦的事情大概是装聋作哑,让不知从哪儿冒出来的阿猫阿狗跟你老婆调情。
Well, if that's the idea you can count me out. . . .
好吧,如果那是你的想法,你可以把我排除在外……
Nowadays people begin by sneering at family life and family institutions and next they'll throw everything overboard and have intermarriage between black and white."
这句话的意思是:“现在,人们一开始对家庭生活和家庭机构嗤之以鼻。然后,他们就把一切都抛弃了,举行黑人和白人的通婚。”
Flushed with his impassioned gibberish he saw himself standing alone on the last barrier of civilization.
他看到自己孤零零地站在文明的最后一道屏障上,满脸通红。
"We're all white here," murmured Jordan.
“我们这儿都是白人,”乔丹喃喃地说。
"I know I'm not very popular. I don't give big parties.
“我知道我不是很受欢迎。我不举办大型聚会。
I suppose you've got to make your house into a pigsty in order to have any friends--in the modern world."
我想,在现代社会,你得把你的房子弄成猪圈,才能交到朋友。”
Angry as I was, as we all were, I was tempted to laugh whenever he opened his mouth.
尽管我和我们大家都很生气,但每当他一开口,我就忍不住要笑。
The transition from libertine to prig was so complete.
从放荡到拘谨的转变是如此彻底。
"I've got something to tell YOU, old sport,----" began Gatsby. But Daisy guessed at his intention.
“我有事要告诉你,老兄——”盖茨比开口说。但是黛西猜到了他的意图。
"Please don't!" she interrupted helplessly. "Please let's all go home. Why don't we all go home?"
“请别这样!”她无可奈何地打断了他的话。“让我们都回家吧。我们为什么不都回家呢?”
"That's a good idea." I got up. "Come on, Tom. Nobody wants a drink."
“这是个好主意。”我起床。“来吧,汤姆。没人想喝。”
"I want to know what Mr. Gatsby has to tell me."
“我想知道盖茨比先生有什么话要对我说。”
"Your wife doesn't love you," said Gatsby. "She's never loved you. She loves me."
“你的妻子不爱你。”盖茨比说。“她从来没有爱过你。她爱我。”
"You must be crazy!" exclaimed Tom automatically.
“你一定是疯了!”汤姆不由自主地喊出来。
Gatsby sprang to his feet, vivid with excitement.
盖茨比激动得跳了起来。
"She never loved you, do you hear?" he cried.
“她从来没有爱过你,你听见了吗?”
"She only married you because I was poor and she was tired of waiting for me.
“她嫁给你只是因为我穷,她等我等得不耐烦了。
It was a terrible mistake, but in her heart she never loved any one except me!"
这是一个可怕的错误,但在她心里,除了我,她谁也不爱!”
At this point Jordan and I tried to go but Tom and Gatsby insisted with competitive firmness that we remain--
这时乔丹和我都想走,但汤姆和盖茨比坚决要求我们留下来——
as though neither of them had anything to conceal and it would be a privilege to partake vicariously of their emotions.
仿佛他们两人都没有什么要隐瞒的,能够间接地分享他们的情感是一种荣幸。
"Sit down Daisy." Tom's voice groped unsuccessfully for the paternal note.
“黛西坐下。”汤姆试着以父亲的语气说话,可是没有成功。