Gatsby's eyes followed it momentarily; he raised his hand and pointed across the bay.
盖茨比的眼睛跟着它转了一会儿;他举起手,指着海湾对面。
"I'm right across from you."
“我就在你对面。”
"So you are."
“可不是嘛。”
Our eyes lifted over the rose beds and the hot lawn and the weedy refuse of the dog days along shore.
我们举目眺望玫瑰花坛、滚烫的草坪和岸边三伏天里杂草丛生的乱草堆。
Slowly the white wings of the boat moved against the blue cool limit of the sky.
那只小船的白翼在蔚蓝清凉的天际的背景上慢慢地移动。
Ahead lay the scalloped ocean and the abounding blessed isles.
前方是扇形的海洋和富饶的岛屿。
"There's sport for you," said Tom, nodding. "I'd like to be out there with him for about an hour."
“那是多么好的运动,”汤姆点点头说。“我想和他在那里待一个小时左右。”
We had luncheon in the dining-room, darkened, too, against the heat, and drank down nervous gayety with the cold ale.
我们在餐厅里吃午饭,房间里遮得很阴凉,以抵御炎热,喝着冰凉的麦酒,把紧张的欢乐一饮而尽。
"What'll we do with ourselves this afternoon," cried Daisy, "and the day after that, and the next thirty years?"
“今天下午做什么呢,”黛西叫道,“明天,还有今后三十年?”
"Don't be morbid," Jordan said. "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall."
“别怕,”乔丹说。“当秋天变得清爽时,生活又重新开始了。”
"But it's so hot," insisted Daisy, on the verge of tears, "And everything's so confused. Let's all go to town!"
“但是天气太热了,”黛西坚持着,几乎要哭了,“一切都很混乱。我们都进城去吧!”
Her voice struggled on through the heat, beating against it, moulding its senselessness into forms.
她的声音在热浪中挣扎着,拍打着它,把它那毫无意义的感觉塑造成各种形式。
"I've heard of making a garage out of a stable," Tom was saying to Gatsby, "but I'm the first man who ever made a stable out of a garage."
“我听说过把马厩改造成车库,”汤姆对盖茨比说,“但我是第一个把车库改造成马厩的人。”
"Who wants to go to town?" demanded Daisy insistently.
“谁想进城?”黛西坚持问道。
Gatsby's eyes floated toward her. "Ah," she cried, "you look so cool."
盖茨比的眼睛向她望过去。“啊,”她叫道,“你看起来真酷。”
Their eyes met, and they stared together at each other, alone in space.
他们的目光相遇了,两人目不转睛地彼此凝视着。
With an effort she glanced down at the table.
她好不容易才把视线转回到餐桌上。
"You always look so cool," she repeated.
“你看起来总是那么酷,”她重复道。
She had told him that she loved him, and Tom Buchanan saw.
她告诉他她爱他,汤姆·布坎南看出来了。
He was astounded.
他吓了一跳。
His mouth opened a little and he looked at Gatsby and then back at Daisy as if he had just recognized her as some one he knew along time ago.
他微微张开嘴,看看盖茨比,又看看黛西,仿佛他刚刚认出她是他很久以前认识的一个人似的。
"You resemble the advertisement of the man," she went on innocently.
“你很像广告里的那个人,”她天真地接着说。
"You know the advertisement of the man----"
“你知道那个人的广告——”
"All right," broke in Tom quickly,
“好吧,”汤姆马上插嘴说,
"I'm perfectly willing to go to town. Come on--we're all going to town."
“我愿意进城去。走吧——我们都要进城去。”