In this heat every extra gesture was an affront to the common store of life.
在这种炎热的天气里,每一个额外的动作都是对生活中常见事物的侮辱。
The room, shadowed well with awnings, was dark and cool.
房间里遮着遮阳篷,又阴又凉。
Daisy and Jordan lay upon an enormous couch, like silver idols, weighing down their own white dresses against the singing breeze of the fans.
黛西和乔丹像银像一样,躺在一张巨大的长沙发上,把他们自己的白衣服压得低低的,以抵抗球迷们轻飘飘的歌声。
"We can't move," they said together.
“我们动不了,”他们一起说。
Jordan's fingers, powdered white over their tan, rested for a moment in mine.
乔丹的手指在棕褐色的皮肤上扑了一层白粉,在我的手指上休息了一会儿。
"And Mr. Thomas Buchanan, the athlete?" I inquired.
“运动员托马斯·布坎南先生呢?”我问道。
Simultaneously I heard his voice, gruff, muffled, husky, at the hall telephone.
与此同时,我听到了他的声音,低沉、低沉、沙哑,在大厅里的电话里。
Gatsby stood in the center of the crimson carpet and gazed around with fascinated eyes.
盖茨比站在深红色地毯的中央,用出神的眼睛向四周望着。
Daisy watched him and laughed, her sweet, exciting laugh; a tiny gust of powder rose from her bosom into the air.
黛西看着他,笑了起来,那是她那甜蜜的、激动人心的笑声;一小股粉末从她的胸中升入空中。
"The rumor is," whispered Jordan, "that that's Tom's girl on the telephone."
“谣传,”乔丹低声说,“电话里的人是汤姆的情人。”
We were silent.
我们沉默。
The voice in the hall rose high with annoyance.
大厅里的声音因烦恼而提高了。
"Very well, then, I won't sell you the car at all. . . . I'm under no obligations to you at all. . . .
“很好,那么,我根本不会把车卖给你……我对你没有任何义务……
And as for your bothering me about it at lunch time I won't stand that at all!"
至于你在午饭时间来烦我,我可受不了!”
"Holding down the receiver," said Daisy cynically.
“挂上话筒再讲。”黛西冷笑着说。
"No, he's not," I assured her. "It's a bona fide deal. I happen to know about it."
“不,他不是。”我向她保证。“这是一笔真诚的交易。我碰巧知道这件事。”
Tom flung open the door, blocked out its space for a moment with his thick body, and hurried into the room.
汤姆猛地推开门,用他那粗壮的身躯把里面的空间堵了一会儿,然后急匆匆地走进屋去。
"Mr. Gatsby!" He put out his broad, flat hand with well-concealed dislike.
“盖茨比先生!”他伸出一只又宽又平的手,掩饰着明显的厌恶。
"I'm glad to see you, sir. . . . Nick. . . ."
“我很高兴见到您,先生……尼克……”
"Make us a cold drink," cried Daisy.
“给我们弄杯冷饮,”黛西叫道。
As he left the room again she got up and went over to Gatsby and pulled his face down kissing him on the mouth.
当他再次离开房间时,她站了起来,走到盖茨比面前,把他的脸拉下来,吻了吻他的嘴。
"You know I love you," she murmured.
“你知道我爱你,”她喃喃地说。
"You forget there's a lady present," said Jordan.
“你忘了有一位女士在场,”乔丹说。
Daisy looked around doubtfully.
黛西疑惑地环顾四周。
"You kiss Nick too."
“你也吻尼克吧。”
"What a low, vulgar girl!"
“多么低级、粗俗的姑娘!”
"I don't care!" cried Daisy and began to clog on the brick fireplace.
“我不管!”黛西叫道,开始在砖砌的壁炉上跳起舞来。
Then she remembered the heat and sat down guiltily on the couch just as a freshly laundered nurse leading a little girl came into the room.
这时她想起了天气炎热,就不好意思地在沙发上坐了下来,这时一个刚洗过衣服的保姆领着一个小女孩走进来。