He got up, his eyes still flashing between Gatsby and his wife.No one moved.
他站了起来,他的眼睛还在盖茨比和他妻子之间闪着光。没有人移动。
"Come on!" His temper cracked a little. "What's the matter, anyhow? If we're going to town let's start."
“走吧!”他的脾气有点暴躁。“怎么回事?”如果我们要进城,那就出发吧。”
His hand, trembling with his effort at self control, bore to his lips the last of his glass of ale.
他的手颤抖着,竭力控制着自己,把最后一杯啤酒送到唇边。
Daisy's voice got us to our feet and out on to the blazing gravel drive.
黛西的声音使我们站了起来,走到外面炽热的碎石路上。
"Are we just going to go?" she objected.
“我们就这么走了吗?”她反对道。
"Like this? Aren't we going to let any one smoke a cigarette first?"
“像这样的吗?我们不打算让谁先抽支烟吗?”
"Everybody smoked all through lunch."
“午饭时大家都在抽烟。”
"Oh, let's have fun," she begged him. "It's too hot to fuss."
“哦,让我们玩得开心点,”她恳求他。“太热了,不必大惊小怪。”
He didn't answer.
他没有回答。
"Have it your own way," she said. "Come on, Jordan."
“随你的便吧,”她说。“来吧,乔丹。”
They went upstairs to get ready while we three men stood there shuffling the hot pebbles with our feet.
他们上楼去准备,我们三个人站在那里用脚挪动滚烫的鹅卵石。
A silver curve of the moon hovered already in the western sky.
一轮银色的月亮已经在西边的天空中盘旋。
Gatsby started to speak, changed his mind, but not before Tom wheeled and faced him expectantly.
盖茨比刚要开口说话,就改变了主意,但不久汤姆就转过身来,期待地看着他。
"Have you got your stables here?" asked Gatsby with an effort.
“你们的马厩在这里吗?”盖茨比努力地问。
"About a quarter of a mile down the road."
“顺着路走大约四分之一英里。”
"Oh."
“哦。”
A pause.
停了一会。
"I don't see the idea of going to town," broke out Tom savagely.
“我真不明白进城去干什么,”汤姆怒气冲冲地说。
"Women get these notions in their heads----"
“女人脑子里总有这种想法——”
"Shall we take anything to drink?" called Daisy from an upper window.
“我们要喝点什么吗?”黛西从楼上的窗口喊道。
"I'll get some whiskey," answered Tom. He went inside.
“我去拿点威士忌,”汤姆回答。他走了进去。
Gatsby turned to me rigidly:
盖茨比生硬地对我说:
"I can't say anything in his house, old sport."
“我不能在他家里说什么,老兄。”
"She's got an indiscreet voice," I remarked. "It's full of----" I hesitated.
“她的声音很不谨慎,”我说。“里面全是——”我犹豫着。
"Her voice is full of money," he said suddenly.
“她的声音里充满了金钱,”他突然说。
That was it. I'd never understood before.
正是这样。我以前从来没有理解过。
It was full of money--that was the inexhaustible charm that rose and fell in it, the jingle of it, the cymbals' song of it. . . .
它里面充满了金钱——那是它永不枯竭的魅力,它的叮当声,它的铙钹声……
High in a white palace the king's daughter, the golden girl. . . .
在高高的白色宫殿里,国王的女儿,金色的女孩……
Tom came out of the house wrapping a quart bottle in a towel,
汤姆从屋里出来,一面把一瓶一夸脱酒用毛巾包起来,
followed by Daisy and Jordan wearing small tight hats of metallic cloth and carrying light capes over their arms.
黛西和乔丹戴着金属质地的小帽子,胳膊上披着浅色的斗篷。