"Bles-sed pre-cious," she crooned, holding out her arms.
“真是美极了,”她低声说,伸出双臂。
"Come to your own mother that loves you."
“到爱你的母亲那里去吧。”
The child, relinquished by the nurse, rushed across the room and rooted shyly into her mother's dress.
被保姆放开的孩子冲过房间,害羞地一头埋进她母亲的衣裙里。
"The Bles-sed pre-cious! Did mother get powder on your old yellowy hair? Stand up now, and say How-de-do."
“心——肝,宝——贝啊!妈妈把粉弄到你那又老又黄的头发上了吗?现在站起来,说你好。”
Gatsby and I in turn leaned down and took the small reluctant hand.
盖茨比我先弯下身来,握住那只不大情愿伸出的手。
Afterward he kept looking at the child with surprise.
后来他一直惊讶地看着那个孩子。
I don't think he had ever really believed in its existence before.
我认为他以前从未真正相信过她的存在。
"I got dressed before luncheon," said the child, turning eagerly to Daisy.
“我午饭前就穿好了衣服,”孩子急切地转向黛西说。
"That's because your mother wanted to show you off." Her face bent into the single wrinkle of the small white neck.
“那是因为你妈妈想要炫耀你。”她的脸伏在白色的小脖子上唯一的皱纹。
"You dream, you. You absolute little dream."
“你啊,你这个宝贝。你这个独一无二的小宝贝。”
"Yes," admitted the child calmly. "Aunt Jordan's got on a white dress too."
“是的,”孩子平静地承认。“乔丹婶婶也穿了一件白裙子。”
"How do you like mother's friends?" Daisy turned her around so that she faced Gatsby. "Do you think they're pretty?"
“你觉得妈妈的朋友怎么样?”黛西把她转过身来,面对着盖茨比。“你觉得他们漂亮吗?”
"Where's Daddy?"
“爸爸在哪里?”
"She doesn't look like her father," explained Daisy. "She looks like me. She's got my hair and shape of the face."
“她长得不像她爸爸,”黛西解释说。“她长得像我。她长着我的头发和脸型。”
Daisy sat back upon the couch. The nurse took a step forward and held out her hand.
黛西靠在沙发上。保姆向前走了一步,伸出手来。
"Come, Pammy."
“来吧,帕咪。”
"Goodbye, sweetheart!"
“再见,亲爱的!”
With a reluctant backward glance the well-disciplined child held to her nurse's hand and was pulled out the door,
有礼貌的孩子勉强回头看了一眼,抓住保姆的手,被拉出了门,
just as Tom came back, preceding four gin rickeys that clicked full of ice.
正好汤姆回来,他后面跟着四杯加满冰块的杜松子酒前面。
Gatsby took up his drink.
盖茨比拿起他的饮料。
"They certainly look cool," he said, with visible tension.
“它们看起来确实很酷,”他说,明显有些紧张。
We drank in long greedy swallows.
我们迫不及待地大口大口地把酒喝下去。
"I read somewhere that the sun's getting hotter every year," said Tom genially.
“我在什么地方看到过,说太阳一年比一年热,”汤姆亲切地说。
"It seems that pretty soon the earth's going to fall into the sun--or wait a minute--it's just the opposite--the sun's getting colder every year.
“似乎很快地球就要落入太阳——或者等一下——正好相反——太阳每年都在变冷。
"Come outside," he suggested to Gatsby, "I'd like you to have a look at the place."
“到外面来,”他建议盖茨比,“我想让你看看这个地方。”
I went with them out to the veranda.
我和他们一起去了阳台。
On the green Sound, stagnant in the heat, one small sail crawled slowly toward the fresher sea.
在那绿色的海湾上,一艘小帆船在热气中停滞不前,慢慢地向更新鲜的大海驶去。