Half an hour later Daisy herself telephoned and seemed relieved to find that I was coming.
半小时后,黛西亲自打电话来,得知我要来,她似乎松了一口气。
Something was up.
有什么事情发生。
And yet I couldn't believe that they would choose this occasion for a scene--
然而,我不敢相信他们会选择在这个场合大闹一场——
especially for the rather harrowing scene that Gatsby had outlined in the garden.
尤其是盖茨比在花园里提出的那副相当难看的场面。
The next day was broiling, almost the last, certainly the warmest, of the summer.
第二天天气炎热,几乎是夏天的最后一天,当然也是最热的一天。
As my train emerged from the tunnel into sunlight, only the hot whistles of the National Biscuit Company broke the simmering hush at noon.
当我乘坐的火车驶出隧道,进入阳光下时,只有国家饼干公司的汽笛声打破了中午沸腾的寂静。
The straw seats of the car hovered on the edge of combustion;
汽车的稻草座位简直太热了;
the woman next to me perspired delicately for a while into her white shirtwaist, and then,
坐在我旁边的一个妇女起初很斯文地让汗水渗透衬衣,然后,
as her newspaper dampened under her fingers, lapsed despairingly into deep heat with a desolate cry.
当她的报纸在她的手指下变湿时,她绝望地发出一声凄凉的叫喊,陷入了深深的热浪之中。
Her pocket-book slapped to the floor.
她的皮夹子啪地一声掉在地板上。
"Oh, my!" she gasped.
“哦,天哪!”她喘着气说。
I picked it up with a weary bend and handed it back to her, holding it at arm's length and by the extreme tip of the corners to indicate
我疲惫地弯下腰把它捡了起来,然后把它递还给她,手伸得远远的,捏着钱包的一个角
that I had no designs upon it--but every one near by, including the woman,suspected me just the same.
我并无染指的意图——可是附近的人,包括那女人,都照样怀疑我。
"Hot!" said the conductor to familiar faces.
“热!”售票员对熟悉的面孔说。
"Some weather! Hot! Hot! Hot!Is it hot enough for you? Is it hot? Is it . . . ?"
“天气!热!热!热!对你来说够热吗?热吗?是……?"
My commutation ticket came back to me with a dark stain from his hand.
我收到的月票上有他手上的黑汗渍。
That any one should care in this heat whose flushed lips he kissed, whose head made damp the pajama pocket over his heart!
在这样热的天气里,谁还会在乎他吻了谁的红唇,谁的头弄湿了他胸前的睡衣口袋呢!
. . . Through the hall of the Buchanan's house blew a faint wind, carrying the sound of the telephone bell out to Gatsby and me as we waited at the door.
……一阵微风吹过布坎南家的门厅,把电话铃声传到盖茨比和我的耳朵里,我们就在门口等着。
"The master's body!" roared the butler into the mouthpiece.
“主人的尸体!”管家对着话筒吼道。
"I'm sorry, madame, but we can't furnish it--it's far too hot to touch this noon!"
“对不起,夫人,我们不能布置了——今天中午太热了,没法摸!”
What he really said was: "Yes . . . yes . . . I'll see."
他真正说的是:“是的……是的……我去看看。”
He set down the receiver and came toward us, glistening slightly, to take our stiff straw hats.
他放下听筒,朝我们走来,微微发亮,拿起我们的硬草帽。
"Madame expects you in the salon!" he cried, needlessly indicating the direction.
“夫人在客厅等你呢!”他喊道,不必要地指了指方向。