Chapter 7
第七章
It was when curiosity about Gatsby was at its highest that the lights in his house failed to go on one Saturday night--
当人们对盖茨比最好奇的时候,正是在一个星期六的晚上,他家里的灯却没有亮——
and, as obscurely as it had begun, his career as Trimalchio was over.
他作为特里马尔乔的生涯也就这样结束了。
Only gradually did I become aware that the automobiles which turned expectantly into his drive stayed for just a minute and then drove sulkily away.
渐渐地,我才意识到,那辆期待已久的汽车只停了一分钟,就悻悻地开走了。
Wondering if he were sick I went over to find out--an unfamiliar butler with a villainous face squinted at me suspiciously from the door.
我怀疑他是不是病了,就走过去看个究竟——一个面目可憎的陌生男管家从门口狐疑地斜视着我。
"Is Mr. Gatsby sick?"
“盖茨比先生病了吗?”
"Nope." After a pause he added "sir" in a dilatory, grudging way.
“不。”停了一会儿,他又慢吞吞地、勉勉强强地加上了一个“先生”。
"I hadn't seen him around, and I was rather worried. Tell him Mr. Carraway came over."
“我没有看到他在附近,我很担心。告诉他卡罗威先生来过。”
"Who?" he demanded rudely.
“谁?”他粗鲁地问道。
"Carraway."
“卡罗威。”
"Carraway. All right, I'll tell him." Abruptly he slammed the door.
“卡罗威。好吧,我去告诉他。”他突然砰地一声关上门。
My Finn informed me that Gatsby had dismissed every servant in his house a week ago and replaced them with half a dozen others,
我的芬兰佣人告诉我,盖茨比一星期前把他家里所有的仆人都解雇了,另外雇佣了五六个人,
who never went into West Egg Village to be bribed by the tradesmen, but ordered moderate supplies over the telephone.
这些人从不去西卵村接受商人的贿赂,而是通过电话订购适量的补给品。
The grocery boy reported that the kitchen looked like a pigsty,
杂货店的男孩报告说厨房看起来像个猪圈,
and the general opinion in the village was that the new people weren't servants at all.
村子里的普遍看法是,新来的人根本不是仆人。
Next day Gatsby called me on the phone.
第二天盖茨比打电话给我。
"Going away?" I inquired.
“准备出门吗?”我问道。
"No, old sport."
“不,老兄。”
"I hear you fired all your servants."
“我听说你解雇了所有的仆人。”
"I wanted somebody who wouldn't gossip. Daisy comes over quite often--in the afternoons."
“我想找一个不会说长道短的人。黛西经常过来——在下午。”
So the whole caravansary had fallen in like a card house at the disapproval in her eyes.
原来如此,由于她看了不赞成,这座大酒店就像纸牌搭的房子一样整个倒了下去。
"They're some people Wolfshiem wanted to do something for.
“他们是沃尔夫山姆想为之效劳的人。
They're all brothers and sisters. They used to run a small hotel."
他们都是兄弟姐妹。他们过去经营一家小旅馆。”
"I see."
“我明白了。”
He was calling up at Daisy's request--would I come to lunch at her house tomorrow?
他是应黛西的要求打来的——明天我能去她家吃午饭吗?
Miss Baker would be there.
贝克小姐会去的。