When Mom brought Ethan home the next day I was overjoyed, but the boy’s mood was somber.
第二天妈妈把伊森带回家时,我非常高兴,但伊森的心情却很忧郁。
Dad told him he was a bad boy.
爸爸说伊森不乖。
Grandpa talked to him in front of the gun cabinet.
爷爷在枪柜前跟伊森说了会儿话。
Everyone was tense—and yet nobody so much as mentioned the name Flare, and it was Flare who was the cause of the whole thing!
每个人都很严肃,但却没有人提到耀斑这个名字,而耀斑才是这整件事情的起因!
I realized that because no one else had been there they didn’t know what had really happened and were mad at the boy instead of the horse.
我意识到,因为没有大家当时没在场,所以他们不知道发生了什么,所以他们生伊森的气,而不是耀斑的气。
I was angry enough to want to go outside and bite that horse, but I didn’t, of course, because the thing was huge.
我很生气,想要出去咬耀斑,但我当然没有这样做,毕竟耀斑的体格那么壮。
The girl came over to see the boy, and the two of them sat on the porch and didn’t talk much, just sort of mumbled and looked away from each other.
那个女孩来看过伊森,他们俩坐在门廊上,没怎么说话,只是小声说了几句话,且一直避免彼此对视。
“Were you scared?” the girl asked.
“你当时害怕吗?女孩问。
“No,” the boy said.
“不,”男孩说。
“I would have been scared.”
“要是我,肯定会害怕的。”
“Well, I wasn’t.”
“嗐,反正我没孩怕。”
“Did you get cold at night?” she pressed.
“夜里冷吗?””她关切地问道。
“Yeah, pretty much.”
“是的,挺冷的。”
“Oh.” “Yeah.”
“噢。”“嗯。”
I alertly followed this exchange, sifting carefully for words such as “Bailey,” “car ride,” and “treats.”
我警觉地听着他俩的对话,仔细寻找是否有提到“贝利”、“开车”和“好吃的”等词。
Hearing none of them, I put my head down and sighed.
但我一个都没听到。我低下头,叹了口气。
The girl reached down and petted me, so I rolled on my back for a tummy rub.
那个女孩俯下身来摸了摸我,我便仰面朝天,方便她摸我的肚子。
I decided I liked the girl, and wished she visited more often and brought more of those biscuits and gave me some.
我发现自己喜欢这个女孩,我希望她能多来几次,多带些饼干来,给我一些。
Then, before I was ready, Mom packed and we took the big long car ride that meant school was coming.
然后,我还没做好心理准备,妈妈就收拾好行李,我们坐上了漫长的长途汽车,这意味着他们每天又要去学校了。
When we pulled in the driveway at home, several of the children came running over,
当我们把车停在家里的车道上时,几个孩子跑了过来,
and Marshmallow and I got reacquainted on the lawn, slipping right into our ongoing wrestling match.
棉花糖和我在草坪上重新认识了彼此,然后就开始了玩儿摔跤。