“Good dog, Bailey,” he told me. Soon his breathing became deep and he stopped shivering.
“贝利真乖”他跟我说。很快,他的呼吸变深了,不再发抖了。
Though I wasn’t exactly perfectly comfortable, I carefully lay in a position to keep him warm as possible through the night.
虽然我的姿势并不是很舒服,但我还是小心翼翼地躺在一个地方不动,尽可能地让他夜里不会受寒。
We were up when the birds started to call and before it was even fully light were already walking again.
鸟儿开始鸣叫时,我们就起床了,天还没亮,我们就又启程了。
I sniffed hopefully at the sack, fooled by the smells, but when the boy let me put my head inside I found nothing to eat.
我满怀希望地闻了闻那个袋子,被它散发出的气味给骗了,但是当伊森让我把头伸进去的时候,我什么吃的都没找到。
“We’ll save it in case we need to make a fire,” he told me.
“我们还是先留着它,以防我们生火要用”他跟我说。
I translated this to mean “we need more sandwiches” and thumped my tail in agreement.
我把这句话理解成“我们需要更多的三明治”,然后摇了摇我的尾巴表示赞同。
The nature of our adventure changed that day.
那天,我们冒险的性质改变了。
The hunger in my belly grew to be a sharp pain, and the boy cried again, sniffling for about an hour.
我肚子里的饥饿变成了剧烈的疼痛,伊森又哭了,抽泣了大约一个小时。
I could feel anxiety wafting through him, followed by a sullen, lethargic apathy that I found just as alarming.
我能感觉到他身上散发的焦虑情绪,随之而来的是一种阴郁、无精打采的情绪,我感觉这种情绪同样令人担忧。
When he sat down and stared at me with glassy eyes, I licked him full in the face.
当他坐下来用呆滞的眼睛盯着我时,我舔了舔他的脸。
I was worried about my boy.
我很担心我的男孩。
We needed to go home, now.
我们现在得回家了。
We came to a small stream and the boy flopped down on his stomach and we drank thirstily.
我们来到一条小溪边,男孩趴在地上,我们饥渴地喝着水。
The water gave the boy both energy and purpose;
水给了男孩能量和决心;
when we set off again, we were following the stream,
当我们再次出发时,我们顺着小溪走,
which twisted and turned through the trees and, at one point, through a meadow full of singing bugs.
这条小溪顺着树林摆出蜿蜒曲折的形状,我们还穿过了一片满是会唱歌的虫子的草地。
The boy turned his face to the sun and increased his pace, hope surging through him,
男孩把脸转向太阳,加快了脚步,希望在他心中涌动,
but his shoulders slumped when after an hour or so the stream reentered the dark woods.
但大约过了一个小时,小溪又带着我们走进了黑暗的树林,我看到他的肩膀耷拉了下来。