We spent that night clinging to each other as before.
那天晚上我们像以前一样紧紧地抱在一起。
I smelled a carcass nearby, something old but probably edible, but I didn’t leave the boy.
我闻到附近有动物尸体的味道,感觉那只动物年纪虽大但依然可食用,但我没有离开伊森。
He needed my warmth more than ever.
他现在比以前更需要我的温暖。
His strength was leaving him; I could feel it ebbing away.
他的力气渐渐消失了;我能感觉到他的力气在消退。
I had never been so afraid.
我从来没有这么害怕过。
The next day the boy stumbled a few times while he walked.
第二天,这个男孩在走路时跌跌撞撞的。
I smelled blood; his face had been whipped by a branch.
我闻到了血的味道,他的脸被树枝划到了。
I sniffed at it. “Go away, Bailey!” he yelled at me.
我嗅了嗅。“走开,贝利!他冲我吼道。
I felt anger and fear and pain coming from him, but I didn’t back away, I stayed right there,
我感到他的身上散发着愤怒、恐惧和痛苦的情绪,但我没有后退,我只是站在那里,
and knew I had done the right thing when he buried his face in my neck and cried some more.
当他把脸埋在我的脖子里,哭得更厉害的时候,我知道我这样做是对的。
“We’re lost, Bailey. I’m so sorry,” the boy whispered. I wagged at my name.
“我们迷路了,贝利。抱歉,”男孩低声说。我听到了自己的名字,便摇了摇尾巴。
The little stream wandered into a boggy area, losing all definition and making for mucky travels.
小溪漫无目的地流入沼泽地带,看不清水的形态,路也变得泥泞了起来。
The boy sank up to his calves, so that his feet made a sucking sound as he pulled them out.
泥巴没过了伊森的小腿肚,每次他拔腿的时候,我都能听到黏黏的声音。。
Bugs descended on us, landing in our eyes and ears.
虫子袭击了我们,落在了我们的眼睛和耳朵里。
Midway across the swamp the boy just stopped.
沼泽走到一半的时候,伊森停了下来。
His shoulders sagged, his chin dropping.
他的肩膀和下巴都垂着。
The air left his lungs in a long, deep sigh.
他从肺里发出一声长长的、深沉的叹息。
Distressed, I picked my way across the slimy area as quickly as I could, putting a paw on his leg.
我很担心地以我最快的速度穿过这片黏糊糊的区域,把我的爪子放在了他的腿上。
He was giving up.
他放弃了。
An overwhelming sense of defeat was building within him, and he was surrendering to it.
一种压倒性的挫败感在他心里逐渐累积,彻底侵蚀了他。
He was losing his very will to live.
他正在失去活下去的意志。
He was like my brother Hungry, lying down that last time in the culvert, never to get back up again.
他就像我的哥哥亨格利最后一次躺在沟里的时候,再也爬不起来了。