"How do you feel, Miss Baedeker?"
“你感觉怎么样,贝达克小姐?”
The girl addressed was trying, unsuccessfully, to slump against my shoulder. At this inquiry she sat up and opened her eyes.
我问候的那个女孩想靠在我肩上,但没有成功。听到这个问题,她坐了起来,睁开了眼睛。
"What?"
“什么?”
A massive and lethargic woman, who had been urging Daisy to play golf with her at the local club tomorrow, spoke in Miss Baedeker's defense:
一个身材魁梧、无精打采的女人一直劝黛西明天到当地的俱乐部去打高尔夫球,她替贝达克小姐辩护说:
"Oh, she's all right now. When she's had five or six cocktails she always starts screaming like that. I tell her she ought to leave it alone."
“哦,她没事的。她喝了五六杯鸡尾酒后,总是那样尖叫。我告诉她不应该喝太多。”
"I do leave it alone," affirmed the accused hollowly.
“我确实没多喝,”受到指责的那个人随口说道。
"We heard you yelling, so I said to Doc Civet here: 'There's somebody that needs your help, Doc.' "
“我们听见你在喊,所以我就对这里的希维特医生说:‘医生,有人需要你的帮助。' "
"She's much obliged, I'm sure," said another friend, without gratitude."But you got her dress all wet when you stuck her head in the pool."
“我相信她一定非常感激,”另一个朋友毫不感激地说,“可你把她的头按进游泳池里,把她的裙子全弄湿了。”
"Anything I hate is to get my head stuck in a pool," mumbled Miss Baedeker.
“我最讨厌的就是把头卡在游泳池里,”贝达克小姐嘟囔着。
"They almost drowned me once over in New Jersey."
“有一次在新泽西,他们差点把我淹死。”
"Then you ought to leave it alone," countered Doctor Civet.
“那你就不应该喝酒,”希维特医生反驳道。
"Speak for yourself!" cried Miss Baedeker violently. "Your hand shakes.I wouldn't let you operate on me!"
“看看你自己吧!”贝达克小姐激烈地喊道。“你的手都在发抖。我不会让你给我动手术的!”
It was like that.
情况就是这样。
Almost the last thing I remember was standing with daisy and watching the moving picture director and his Star.
我记得的最后一件事就是和黛西站在一起,看着电影导演和他的明星。
They were still under the white plum tree and their faces were touching except for a pale thin ray of moonlight between.
他们还在那棵白梅树下,他们的脸之间只隔着一缕淡淡的月光。
It occurred to me that he had been very slowly bending toward her all evening to attain this proximity,
我觉得他整个晚上都在慢慢地向她弯下腰来,
and even while I watched I saw him stoop one ultimate degree and kiss at her cheek.
甚至在我注视的时候,我看见他弯下最后一度,在她的脸颊上吻了一下。
"I like her," said Daisy, "I think she's lovely."
“我喜欢她,”黛西说,“我觉得她很可爱。”
But the rest offended her--and in arguably, because it wasn't a gesture but an emotion.
但是其他的一切她都讨厌——而且是不容置辩的,这不是一种姿态,而是一种感觉。
She was appalled by West Egg, this unprecedented "place"that Broadway had begotten upon a Long Island fishing village--
西卵是百老汇在长岛的一个渔村上建立起来的一个前所未有的“地方”,这使她非常讨厌——
appalled by its raw vigor that chafed under the old euphemisms
讨厌与古老礼仪不沾边的粗野习气,
and by the too obtrusive fate that herded its inhabitants along a short cut from nothing to nothing.
讨厌它的居民沿着一条捷径从无到有的过分突兀的命运。
She saw something awful in the very simplicity she failed to understand.
她无法理解这种简单的事实,觉得这实在可怕。