He took them ceremoniously from group to group:
盖茨比礼貌周全地领着他们向一群又一群的客人介绍:
"Mrs. Buchanan... and Mr. Buchanan--" After an instant's hesitation he added: "the polo player."
“布坎南太太……和布坎南先生——”他迟疑了一下,又说:“马球运动员。”
"Oh no," objected Tom quickly, "Not me."
“哦,不,”汤姆马上反驳道,“不是我。”
But evidently the sound of it pleased Gatsby for Tom remained "the polo player" for the rest of the evening.
但显然盖茨比听了这个声音很高兴,因为汤姆在那天晚上剩下的时间里一直是“马球运动员”。
"I've never met so many celebrities!" Daisy exclaimed. "I liked that man - what was his name? - with the sort of blue nose."
“我从来没见过这么多名人!”黛西说。“我喜欢那个人——他叫什么名字?——长着那种蓝鼻子。”
Gatsby identified him, adding that he was a small producer.
盖茨比认出了他,还说他是个小制片人。
"Well, I liked him anyhow."
“嗯,我就是喜欢他。”
"I'd a little rather not be the polo player," said Tom pleasantly, "I'd rather look at all these famous people in - in oblivion."
“我宁愿不是马球运动员,”汤姆愉快地说,“我倒宁愿以一个默默无闻的人的身份看看这么多有名的人。”
Daisy and Gatsby danced.
黛西和盖茨比跳起舞来。
I remember being surprised by his graceful,conservative fox-trot - I had never seen him dance before.
我对他优雅、保守的狐步舞感到惊讶——我以前从未见过他跳舞。
Then they sauntered over to my house and sat on the steps for half an hour.
然后他们溜到我家,应她的要求在台阶上坐了半个小时。
While at her request I remained watchfully in the garden: "In case there's afire or a flood,"
她让我待在园子里放风:“万一发生火灾或洪水,”
she explained, "or any act of God."
她解释道:“或者是什么天灾。”
Tom appeared from his oblivion as we were sitting down to supper together.
当我们坐下来一起吃晚饭时,汤姆突然出现了。
"Do you mind if I eat with some people over here?" he said. "A fellow's getting off some funny stuff."
“你介意我和这里的一些人一起吃饭吗?”他说。“有个家伙在做有趣的事情。”
"Go ahead," answered Daisy genially, "And if you want to take down any addresses here's my little gold pencil..."
“去吧,”黛西亲切地回答,“如果你想记下任何地址,这是我的小金笔……”
She looked around after a moment and told me the girl was "common but pretty,"
过了一会儿,她环顾四周,告诉我这个女孩“很普通,但很漂亮,”
and I knew that except for the half hour she'd been alone with Gatsby she wasn't having a good time.
我知道,除了她和盖茨比单独在一起的那半个小时以外,她过得并不愉快。
We were at a particularly tipsy table.
我们这一桌的人喝得特别醉。
That was my fault - Gatsby had been called to the phone and I'd enjoyed these same people only two weeks before.
这是我的错——盖茨比被叫去接电话了,而就在两个星期以前,我还觉得这些人挺有意思。
But what had amused me then turned septic on the air now.
但当时让我觉得有趣的事,现在都变得索然无味。