They were a party of three on horseback -- Tom and a man named Sloane and a pretty woman in a brown riding habit who had been there previously.
他们一行三个人骑在马上——汤姆和一个叫斯隆的男人,还有一个先前去过那儿的穿褐色骑马服的漂亮女人。
"I'm delighted to see you," said Gatsby standing on his porch."I'm delighted that you dropped in."
“很高兴见到你。”盖茨比站在门廊上说。“我很高兴你能来。”
As though they cared!
仿佛他们在乎似的!
"Sit right down. Have a cigarette or a cigar."
“坐吧。抽支烟或雪茄吧。”
He walked around the room quickly, ringing bells.
他飞快地在房间里走来走去,铃声响个不停。
"I'll have something to drink for you in just a minute."
“我马上给你拿点喝的。”
He was profoundly affected by the fact that Tom was there.
汤姆的到来深深地影响了他。
But he would been easy anyhow until he had given them something, realizing in a vague way that that was all they came for.
但是,他只有拿给他们一些东西之后才会放下心来,因为他模模糊糊地意识到,那就是他们来的目的。
Mr. Sloane wanted nothing. A lemonade? No, thanks. A little champagne? Nothing at all,thanks... I'm sorry--
斯隆先生什么都不想要。柠檬水吗?不,谢谢。小香槟吗?什么都不要,谢谢……对不起——
"Did you have a nice ride?"
“你们骑马骑得好吗?”
"Very good roads around here."
“这附近的路很好。”
"I suppose the automobiles--"
“来往的汽车——”
"Yeah."
“是啊。”
Moved by an irresistible impulse, Gatsby turned to Tom who had accepted the introduction as a stranger.
刚才介绍的时候,汤姆认为彼此是初次见面,而此刻盖茨比突然情不自禁地转过头朝向他。
"I believe we've met somewhere before, Mr. Buchanan."
“我想我们以前在什么地方见过面,布坎南先生。”
"Oh, yes," said Tom, gruffly polite but obviously not remembering." So we did. I remember very well."
“哦,是的,”汤姆说,态度生硬,彬彬有礼,但显然不记得了。“我们见过的。我记得很清楚。”
"About two weeks ago."
“大约两周前。”
"That's right. You were with Nick here."
“是的。你和尼克在一起。”
"I know your wife," continued Gatsby, almost aggressively.
“我认识你的妻子,”盖茨比接着说,几乎是咄咄逼人。
"That so?"
“这样吗?”
Tom turned to me.
汤姆转向我。
"You live near here, Nick?"
“你住在附近,尼克?”
"Next door."
“隔壁。”
"That so?"
“这样吗?”
Mr. Sloane didn't enter into the conversation but lounged back haughtily in his chair;
斯隆先生没有参与谈话,只是高傲地靠在椅子上。
the woman said nothing either -- until unexpectedly, after two highballs, she became cordial.
那个女人也没说什么——直到两杯威士忌下肚,她突然变得热情起来。
"We'll all come over to your next party, Mr. Gatsby," she suggested."What do you say?"
“盖茨比先生,下次聚会我们都要来参加。”她建议道。“可以吗?”
"Certainly. I'd be delighted to have you."
“当然。我很高兴你能来。”
"Be very nice," said Mr. Sloane, without gratitude. "Well -- think ought to be starting home."
“那很好,”斯隆先生说,没有感激之情。“好吧——我想该回家了。”