She told them to clear away, and sat down to her work-basket, a heavy load of stockings and every knee with a hole in it as usual.
她吩咐他们收拾饭桌,坐下来做针线。针线筐里满满的一筐长袜子,每只袜子的膝盖上,照例有一个洞。
"Wendy," remonstrated Michael, "I'm too big for a cradle."
“温迪,”迈克尔抗议说,“我太大了,不能睡摇篮了。”
"I must have somebody in a cradle," she said almost tartly,
“总得有一个人睡摇篮呀,”温迪几乎是声色俱厉地说,
"and you are the littlest. A cradle is such a nice homely thing to have about a house."
“你是最小的一个,摇篮是全家最可爱最有家庭味儿的东西。”
While she sewed they played around her; such a group of happy faces and dancing limbs lit up by that romantic fire.
温迪做针线的时候,他们在她身边玩耍。那么多笑盈盈的脸,和欢蹦乱跳的小胳膊小腿,被那浪漫的炉火照得又红又亮。
It had become a very familiar scene, this, in the home under the ground, but we are looking on it for the last time.
这种景象在地下的家里是常见的;不过,我们是最后一次见到了。
There was a step above, and Wendy, you may be sure, was the first to recognize it.
上面有脚步声,第一个听出来的,当然是温迪。
"Children, I hear your father's step. He likes you to meet him at the door."
“孩子们,我听见你们的父亲的脚步声,他喜欢你们到门口去迎接他。”
Above, the redskins crouched before Peter.
上面,印第安人向彼得鞠躬致意。
"Watch well, braves. I have spoken."
“好好看守,勇士们,我说的。”
And then, as so often before, the gay children dragged him from his tree. As so often before, but never again.
然后,欢天喜地的孩子们拽着他下了树洞。这样的事以前是常有的,但再也不会有了。
He had brought nuts for the boys as well as the correct time for Wendy.
他给孩子们带来了坚果,又给温迪带来了准确的时间。
"Peter, you just spoil them, you know," Wendy simpered.
“你知道吗,彼得?你把他们惯坏了。”温迪傻呵呵地笑着说。
"Ah, old lady," said Peter, hanging up his gun.
“是啊,老太婆。”彼得说,挂起了他的枪。
"It was me told him mothers are called old lady," Michael whispered to Curly.
“是我告诉他的,对母亲要称老太婆。”迈克尔悄悄地对卷毛说。
"I complain of Michael," said Curly instantly.
“我控告迈克尔。”卷毛马上提出。
The first twin came to Peter. "Father, we want to dance."
孪生子中的老大走到彼得跟前说:“父亲,我们想跳舞。”
"Dance away, my little man," said Peter, who was in high good humour.
“那就跳吧,小家伙。”彼得说,他兴致很高。
"But we want you to dance."
“可是我们要你也跳。”
Peter was really the best dancer among them, but he pretended to be scandalised.
彼得其实是他们当中跳得最好的一个,但是,他假装吃惊的样子说:
"Me! My old bones would rattle!"
“我吗!我这把老骨头都要嘎嘎作响啦。”
"And mummy too."
“妈妈也跳。”
"What," cried Wendy, "the mother of such an armful, dance!"
“什么,”温迪喊,“一个一大群孩子的母亲,还跳舞!”
"But on a Saturday night," Slightly insinuated.
“可这是礼拜六晚上啊!”斯莱特利讨好地说。