All evening the grandmother said to herself,
直到晚上奶奶还在念叨:
"If only he lets her come again! I have something to look forward to in this world now, thank God!"
“再过来玩该多好!这样我也觉得活着有些乐趣,感谢上帝。”
Heidi could hardly wait before they reached the cottage.
这边,小海蒂等不及回家,就开始向爷爷讲述着。
She had tried to talk on the way, but no sound could be heard through the heavy cover.
她试图在路上和爷爷说话,可是,毯子把她包住了,声音出不来。
As soon as they were inside the hut she began: "Grandfather, we must take some nails and a hammer down tomorrow,
到了小屋,一进门,小海蒂就急急忙忙地说:“爷爷,明天要带上锤子和钉子,
a shutter is loose in grandmother's house and many other places shake. Everything rattles in her house."
奶奶家的百叶窗松了,好多地方都摇摇晃晃的,那屋子里到处都嘎吧嘎吧响了。”
"Is that so? Who says we must?" "Nobody told me, but I know," Heidi replied.
“是吗?谁跟你说的?”“谁也没跟我说,我自己这么想的。”小海蒂回答说。
"Everything is loose in the house, and poor grandmother told me she was afraid that the house might tumble down.
“那房子好些地方都松动了,奶奶跟我说,她害怕房子会塌下来。
And grandfather, she cannot see the light. Can you help her and make it light for her?
奶奶还说她的眼睛看不见,你有办法让她看见吗?
How terrible it must be to be afraid in the dark and nobody there to help you!
想想看,眼前总是一片漆黑,谁都没办法,那该多难过呀。
Oh, please, grandfather, do something to help her! I know you can."
爷爷,求你帮帮她,我知道你有办法。”
Heidi had been clinging to her grandfather and looking up to him with trusting eyes.
小海蒂紧紧抓住爷爷,用信赖的目光望着他。
At last he said, glancing down: "All right, child, we'll see that it won't rattle any more. We can do it tomorrow."
爷爷盯着孩子看了一会儿说:“好吧好吧,小海蒂,我去帮老奶奶修修房子,不让它再嘎吧嘎吧了,就明天去吧。”
Heidi was so overjoyed at these words that she danced around the room shouting: "We'll do it tomorrow! We can do it tomorrow!"
小海蒂一听,高兴地在屋子里又蹦又跳,不停地喊:“明天就去!明天就去!”
The grandfather, keeping his word, took Heidi down the following day with the same instructions as before.
爷爷没有违背约定。第二天,两个人像昨天那样,坐着雪橇滑下山,
After Heidi had disappeared, he went around the house inspecting it.
海蒂离开后,爷爷就开始绕着房子走来走去,四处查看。
The grandmother, in her joy at seeing the child again, had stopped the wheel and called:
老奶奶知道是海蒂来了,高兴得不得了,停下纺轮,喊道:
"Here is the child again! She has come again!"
“她来了,是她来了!”
Heidi, grasping her outstretched hands, sat herself on a low stool at the old woman's feet and began to chat.
小海蒂抓住奶奶伸过来的手,坐在奶奶脚边的矮凳子上,开始问这问那。
Suddenly violent blows were heard outside, and the grandmother in her fright nearly upset the spinning-wheel and screamed:
突然外面传来用力敲打房子的声音。老奶奶惊吓得缩起身子,差点把纺车碰倒,并叫起来:
"Oh, God, it has come at last. The hut is tumbling down!"
“糟了,这一天终于到了!房子要塌下来了!”
"Grandmother, don't be frightened," said the child, while she put her arms around her.
小海蒂紧紧抓住老奶奶的手,安慰道:“奶奶,别怕,
"Grandfather is just fastening the shutter and fixing everything for you."
那是爷爷在钉百叶窗,他会帮你把所有东西都修好。”