Sister broke into a run around the perimeter of the yard, as if expecting a hole to open.
姐姐绕着院子跑了起来,好像在等待着他们开启一个洞。
Fast went with her at first and then stopped in despair, watching her panicked, pointless flight.
一开始,Fast跟她一起跑着,但随后,Fast就绝望地停了下来,因为他看到姐姐惊恐地挣扎,但毫无意义,她逃不掉。
Two men closed in on her and captured her with a rope.
两个男人向她逼近,用绳子抓住了她。
Fast let them take him right away, so that he’d go with Sister, and Top Dog stepped forward with dignity when they called to him.
Fast顺从地让他们直接把自己也带走了,这样他就可以和姐姐一起去了。当他们叫狗老大时,狗老大不失尊严地走上前来。
Spike, though, fought the loop, growling savagely and snapping at them.
斯派克则拼命地躲着绳子,狂怒地咆哮着、撕咬着。
The men yelled, and one of them directed a thin stream of liquid from his canister at Spike’s face,
那几个人大叫起来,其中一个人从他的罐子里喷出一股液体,对准了斯派克的脸,
the scent instantly burning my nose from all the way across the Yard.
那股气味立刻淹没了整个院子,我的鼻子也熏得火辣辣的。
Spike stopped fighting and fell to the ground, his paws over his snout.
斯派克不再挣扎,倒在了地上,用爪子捂住了鼻子。
They dragged him out and then came to me. “Nice doggy. You hurt your leg, boy?” one of the men asked.
那几个人把斯派克拖了出去,径直来到了我身边。“好孩子。你的腿受伤了吗?”其中一人问道。
I gave my tail a feeble wag and ducked my head a little to make it easier for him to slip the loop over my head,
我无力地摇了摇尾巴,把头低下了一点,好让它更容易地把绳套到我头上,
which took a bit of doing because of my stupid plastic collar.
但还是不太容易套上,因为我脖子上带着项圈。
Once outside the fence, I was upset to see Senora crying, struggling against Carlos and Bobby.
一出围栏,我就看到夫人在哭,卡洛斯还有鲍比拦着她。
Her sadness came off her and washed into me, and I pulled against the noose, wanting to go comfort her.
她的悲伤呼之欲出,砸在我的心上,我试图逆着绳套的方向去安慰她一下。
One of the men tried to hand Senora a paper, but she threw it on the ground.
其中一个人想递给夫人一张纸,但她把纸扔在了地上。
“Why do you do this? We’re not hurting anyone!” Bobby shouted. His anger was clear and frightening.
“你们为什么要这样做?”我们没有伤害任何人!”鲍比喊道。他的愤怒显而易见,让人感到害怕。
“Too many animals. Poor conditions,” the man with the paper said.
“这里的狗太多了,条件太差了。”递纸的那个人说。
He, too, radiated anger, and everyone was very tense and stiff.
能明显看出这个人也很愤怒,在场的每个人都非常紧张和僵硬。
I noticed that his clothes were dark and that he had metal flashing on his chest.
我注意到他的衣服是黑色的,胸前有金属在闪光。
“I love my dogs,” Senora wailed. “Please don’t take them from me.” Senora was not angry; she was sad and afraid.
夫人哭着说,“我爱我的狗。请不要把它们带走。“夫人不是生气,而是伤心又害怕。
“Inhumane,” the man replied.
“这样不人道,”那人回答。