I was mystified.
我很困惑。
Seeing the entire pack outside the Yard, led one by one to cages on the trucks, was very disorienting.
看到整个狗群在院子外面,一个接一个地被带到卡车上的笼子里,我感觉很迷惑。
Most of us had our ears back and our tails submissively low.
我们大多数狗子的耳朵都顺从地耷拉在后面。
I was next to Rottie, whose deep, heavy woofing filled the air.
我紧挨着罗蒂,空气中弥漫着罗蒂低沉沉重的吼声。
My comprehension did not improve when we arrived at our destination,
当我们到达目的地时,我还是没太明白这是要干嘛,
which smelled a little like the place with the nice lady in the cool room but was hot and filled with loud, anxious dogs.
这地方闻起来有点像漂亮女士的那个凉爽房间,但这里很热,到处都是吵闹、焦虑的狗。
I followed willingly and was somewhat disappointed to find myself shoved into a cage with Fast and Top Dog
我顺从地跟在后面,但有点失望地发现自己被塞进了一个笼子,里面关着Fast和狗老大。
—I would have preferred Coco or even Sister, though my fellow males were as cowed as I was and regarded me without hostility.
-我更希望可可或者姐姐在一起,尽管他们俩和我一样被吓到,对我没有敌意。
The barking was deafening, yet above it all I heard the unmistakable snarl of Spike in full attack,
狗叫声震耳欲聋,但在这些叫声之中,我能精准地分辨斯派克的怒吼,
followed by a sharp squeal of pain from some unfortunate canine.
接着是一条不幸的狗发出的一阵痛苦的尖叫。
Men yelled, and then a few minutes later Spike was led past us at the end of a pole, disappearing down a hallway.
一些男人大叫着,几分钟后,斯派克被牵着从我们身边路过,消失在走廊里。
A man stopped in front of our cage.
一个男人在我们的笼子前停了下来。
“What happened here?” he asked.
“这里发生了什么?”他问道。
The other man, the one who had just led Spike away, stopped and regarded me without interest. “Dunno.”
另一个人,也就是刚刚把斯派克带走的那个人,停了下来,一脸没趣地看着我说,“不知道。”
From the first man I sensed a caring tinged with sadness, but from the second man there was nothing but disinterest.
从第一个男人身上,我感觉到一种略带忧伤的关心,而从第二个男人身上,我却只感觉到一种毫无兴趣的冷漠。
The first man opened the door and gently probed my leg, pushing Fast’s face away.
第一个人打开门,轻轻地探了探我的腿,推开了Fast的脸。
“This is ruined,” he said.
“没救了,”他说。
I tried to communicate to him that I was a much better dog without the stupid collar on.
我试着向他表达,如果不戴那个愚蠢的项圈,我的表现会更好。
“Unadoptable,” the first man said. “We got too many dogs,” the second man said.
“这个不能要,”第一个男人说。“我们的狗太多了,”第二个人说。
The first man reached inside the cone and smoothed my ears back.
第一个人把手伸进项圈,把我的耳朵弄平。
Though I felt disloyal to Senora, I licked his hand.
虽然我觉得对夫人不忠,但还是舔了舔他的手。
He mostly just smelled of other dogs.
他身上几乎全是其他狗的味道。
“Okay,” the first man said.
“好吧,”第一个人说。