Chapter 6
第六章
When Yasuo and his mother got home,they took off their shoes and brought Hachi inside.
Yasuo和他的妈妈回到家,他们脱下鞋子,把小八带了进来。
Yasuo put a bowl of fresh water down on the floor of the front entryway for him.
Yasuo在门口的地板上放了一碗淡水。
"What will he eat?"Yasuo asked his mother.
“他会吃什么?”Yasuo问他的妈妈。
“He will eat what we eat,"she answered.
“我们吃什么他就吃什么,”她回答。
"Rice and fish and vegetables. We do not have money to buy special food for him."
“米饭、鱼和蔬菜。我们没有钱为他买特别的食物。”
"Come inside,Hachi,"Yasuo called, but the dog was not interested in leaving the genkan to explore the rest of Yasuo's house.
“八公,进来吧,”Yasuo喊道,但是狗狗并没有兴趣离开genkan去探索Yasuo的房子。
He sat in front of the door and stared at it.
他坐在门前盯着它看。
"He does not like it here,"Yasuo said sadly.
“他不喜欢这里,”Yasuo悲伤地说。
"He needs time to get used to his new life,"said Mrs. Takahashi.
“他需要时间来适应他的新生活,”高桥太太说。
Yasuo knelt down next to Hachi and stroked the fur on his back.
Yasuo跪在八公旁边,抚摸他背上的毛。
He spoke to him in a calm, soothing voice.
他用平静、抚慰的声音对他说话。
"I know you miss the Professor," he said. At the word professor Hachi's ears swiveled back.
“我知道你想念教授,”他说。听到这个词,八公的耳朵转了回来。
"I miss him too. But you will like living with us, Hachi.
“我也想他。但是你会喜欢和我们住在一起的,小八。
I will give you bits of fish and meat and other good things to eat, and I will play with you.
我会给你一些鱼、肉和其他好吃的东西,我会和你一起玩。
We will have fun together."
我们会玩得很开心的。”
Yasuo offered his hand to Hachi, hoping he would lick it.
Yasuo向八公伸出手,希望他能舔一舔。
But the dog just stayed where he was, staring at the door.
但是狗还是呆在原地,盯着门。
"Poor Hachi,"Yasuo said."You are hoping that the door will open and the Professor will wallk through it.
“可怜的“八公”,”福田说。“你希望门会开,教授会从里面穿过去。
I would like that to happen too. But it is not possible."
我也希望这样的事情发生。但这是不可能的。”