"Ser Cortnay had challenged Lord Stannis to single combat on the morning he died.
“科塔奈爵士在去世的当天早上还向史坦尼斯大人提出挑战。
I ask you, is this the act of a man lost to despair?
请问,绝望之人会做出这样的举动吗?
Then there is the matter of Lord Renly's mysterious and most fortuitous murder,
之前,蓝礼大人意外地遭受神秘谋杀一事也很奇怪,
even as his battle lines were forming up to sweep his brother from the field."
当时,他的战阵已经结成,正准备出发与哥哥一决雌雄。”
The eunuch paused a moment.
太监停顿片刻。
"My lord, you once asked me how it was that I was cut."
“大人,你曾经问我,我是如何被阉的。”
"I recall," said Tyrion.
“我记得,”提利昂说,
"You did not want to talk of it."
“当时你不愿谈。”
"Nor do I, but..."
“现在也不愿,但是……”
This pause was longer than the one before, and when Varys spoke again his voice was different somehow.
这次的停顿比刚才更长,当瓦里斯再度开口时,声音和平时不大一样。
"I was an orphan boy apprenticed to a traveling folly.
“我是个孤儿,从小在一个巡演戏班里当学徒。
Our master owned a fat little cog and we sailed up and down the narrow sea performing in all the Free Cities
我们老板有条小货船,载着大家往来狭海,在各个自由贸易城邦表演,
and from time to time in Oldtown and King's Landing.
有时也去旧镇和君临。”
"One day at Myr, a certain man came to our folly.
“有一天,我们在密尔演出,戏班来了个陌生男子,
After the performance, he made an offer for me that my master found too tempting to refuse.
表演完毕之后,他向老板提出要把我买下来。他开的价太诱人,老板无法拒绝。
I was in terror.
我曾听说男人会怎么享用小男孩,
I feared the man meant to use me as I had heard men used small boys,
担心那人也有如此打算,因此很害怕。
but in truth the only part of me he had need of was my manhood.
谁知我全身上下他惟一要的是我的阳具。
He gave me a potion that made me powerless to move or speak, yet did nothing to dull my senses.
他让我喝下一剂药,动弹不得也说不出话,但所有的知觉都清清楚楚。
With a long hooked blade, he sliced me root and stem, chanting all the while.
接着,他用一把长长的弯刀,将我的命根子连根带茎切下,一边还念念有词。
I watched him burn my manly parts on a brazier.
我看着他将我的男根放进火盆烧毁。
The flames turned blue, and I heard a voice answer his call, though I did not understand the words they spoke.
火焰转为蓝色,我听见有个声音在回应他的召唤,尽管我不懂它的语言。”
"The mummers had sailed by the time he was done with me.
“他处理我的同时,我的戏班扬帆离去,
Once I had served his purpose, the man had no further interest in me, so he put me out.
这之后我对他已没了利用价值,他便赶我走。