Now this is very different from avoiding. Because it is not about saying,
这和逃避是很不一样的 因为这并不是说
"all right, I am not going to deal with any of the issues in my life."
“好吧 我一辈子不要再管这种事了”
It's just saying that if there is a recurrent thought or feeling,
这只是说如果某种情绪或想法反复出现
and I'm experiencing a Sisyphean battle against it-you know,
我永远都在徒劳地抗争
pushing the stone up and being pushed down again, up and down again.
把石头推上去 然后又被推下来 上上下下
Sometimes it is better, more helpful to just say, "OK, I'm not going to ruminate; it's pointless.
有时更好 更有用的方法是 “好吧 我不要再反复想了 这没有意义
This neural pathway in my mind is being so reinforced. It's not going anywhere."
这个神经通路在我脑海中太强烈了 不会有任何出路的”
And then to say, "let me move on. Let me listen to a nice piece of music.
然后说 “让我继续前进吧 让我去听首好歌
Let me go for a run that will really help get my mind off this."
让我去跑个步 好让我能够真正忘记它”
And very often what a run can do is also help me look at it in a different, through a different lens.
很经常地 跑步还能使我从全新的角度来看待这件事
And we'll talk about it, much more about this distraction,
我们会更深入地探讨这个分心
because it's nuanced, meaning we are not about avoiding.
因为差异非常微小 并不是逃避
So we'll talk about it next, on Thursday when we talk about
我们下节课 周四讲到
dealing with depression or dealing with anxiety, using meditation,
处理沮丧 或者焦虑时 会用到冥想
using mindfulness as a kind of distraction. But that's also one way of looking at the positive.
用念来分心 但那也是一种积极对待的方式
And finally, the third p is about taking Perspective.
最后 第三个P是指换个角度
Is this really gonna matter? This is Richard Carlson's wonderful self-help book,
这真的很重要吗 理查德·卡尔森写了一本很好的自助书
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff…and it's all Small Stuff.
别为小事伤神 一切皆是小事
Now I don't necessarily agree with the second-it's all small stuff,
我不完全同意后半句 一切皆是小事 但很显然
but certainly a lot of things that we sweat about in our lives are small stuff.
许多生活中我们为之伤神的事都是小事
Now the issue with not sweating the small stuff
要不为小事伤神
is asking a simple question: is this going to matter in a year?
就要问一个简单的问题 它在一年后会不会有影响