Then he pointed to a house by the river and said quietly, 'Wait five minutes, then come to the back door. 'He walked off.
他指着河边的一座房子平静地说:"请等五分钟,然后到后门去。"说完就离开了。
I did as he asked, and found the back door open and a servant waiting.
我照办了,发现后门开着,有个仆人等在那里。
Come this way, sir, 'he said, and took me to a bedroom.
"先生,请这边走,"他说着,把我领到一间卧室。
There were clothes waiting for me, and shaving things.
卧室里为我准备好了衣服和刮脸用具。
'There's a bathroom next door. Dinner is in half an hour. '
"旁边的门是浴室。半个小时后开饭。"
The servant left, and I sat down.
仆人走后我坐了下来。
I was very surprised, but also delighted,
我感到惊喜交加。
Sir Walter clearly believed that I was not a murderer,
瓦尔特爵士显然不相信我是杀人犯,
although when I looked at myself in the mirror, I thought I looked very much like one.
虽然照着镜子我觉得自己很像。
I had a bath and shaved and put on the clothes.
我洗了个澡,刮了刮脸,然后换上给我准备的衣服。
When I had finished, I looked in the mirror again.
完事后又重新照了一番镜子,
This time I saw a completely different young man.
这回我看到是一个截然不同的年轻人。
Sir Walter was waiting for me in the dining room.
瓦尔特爵士正在餐厅里等我。
I decided I must tell him the truth about myself immediately.
我决定立刻把我的全部真实情况告诉他。