I said nothing about what I had read in Scudder's notes.
至于我在斯卡德尔的笔记本上看到了什么,我只字未提。
Then I told him about my meeting with Sir Harry, and he laughed.
接着我讲到如何见到哈里爵士,他听着笑了。
My day as a roadman interested him.
他对我装修路人的那天很感兴趣。
He made me describe the two men in the car, and seemed to be thinking hard.
他让我详细描述一下车上的那两个人,看来他在认真思考着。
Then he laughed again at my adventure with Marmaduke Jopley.
接着我谈到与马默杜克的奇遇,他又笑起来。
When I described the old man in the farmhouse, he stopped smiling.
当我说到农舍里的那个老头,他的笑容收敛了。
'Old, bald, and hoods his eyes like a hawk. I don't like the sound of him.
"上了年纪、秃头而且像猫头鹰那样眯着眼睛。听起来这个人不讨人喜欢。
And you blew up his house. You're a brave man.
您把他的房子给炸了。您真有胆量。"
I reached the end of my story.
我讲完了。
He stood up, by the fire, and looked down at me.
他从火炉旁站起来,低头看着我。
'You don't need to worry about the police, 'he said. 'They don't want you any more. '
"您不用担心警察,"他说。"他们不再追捕您了。"
'Have they arrested the murderer? '
"他们抓到凶手了吗?"
'No. But they know it's not you. '
"没有。但他们知道不是您。"
'How? '
"他们怎么知道的?"
'Because I heard from Scudder. I knew him a bit.
"因为我收到了斯卡德尔的信。我对他略有所知。
He was a strange man, but he was honest.
他很古怪,但很诚实。
I had a letter from him on the 31st of May. '
五月三十一日我收到他一封信。"