'But he'd been dead for a week by then. '
"可是那时他已经死了一周了。"
'The letter was written and posted on the 23rd.
"那封信是二十三日写好寄出的。
His letters usually went to Spaim and then Newcastle, so they took a week to arrive. '
他的信一般走西班牙,然后转纽卡速尔,所以要一周才能收到。"
'What did he say? '
"他说什么了?"
'That he was in danger. He said he was living in Langham Place, and that he was with a good friend.
"他说他处境危险。他住在兰厄姆,和一个好朋友住在一起。
I think he wanted to help you in case he was murdered.
我想他是为了在万一被害后仍能帮您一把。
When I got the letter, I went to Scotland Yard and talked to the police. '
接到信我就去苏格兰场告诉了警察。"
You can imagine that I felt ten times better.
可以想像我的无限欣悦之情。
I was a free man, and my only enemies were my country's enemies.
我是个自由人了,而且我的唯一敌人也是我的国家的敌人。
'Now, let's see this notebook, 'said Sir Walter.
"咱们瞧瞧这个笔记本,"瓦尔特爵士说。
It took us an hour to work through it.
我们花了一个小时看了一遍。
I explained the code and he understood very quickly.
我解释着暗语,他很快就明白了。
When we had finished, he sat silent for a while.
完事之后,好半天他坐着一声不吭。
'I don't understand all of this, 'he said at last.
"我不全懂,"他最后说。
'He's right about one thing, and that is the meeting on the 15th.
"有一件事他说对了,就是十五号的会议。
How can anyone have discovered about that?
但别人怎么可能知道呢?