A fisherman walked up from the river, and as he got near to me, he started to whistle the same song.
一个渔夫从河那边走来,走到我身边时,口哨吹起同一首歌。
He was a big man in old clothes and a wide hat.
他身材魁梧,穿一身旧衣服,戴一顶宽边帽。
He smiled at me, and I looked at his kind, intelligent face.
他对着我微笑,而我则看着他那张慈祥睿智的脸。
'The water's clear, isn't it? 'he said. 'Look at that big fish lying on the bottom.
"水很清,是不是?"他说。"看水底那条鱼多大。
I've been trying to catch him all evening. '
我折腾了一个晚上一直想把它抓住。"
'I can't see him, 'I said.
"看到了,"我说。
'Look, over there, near those plants. '
"看,就在那儿,在水草旁边。"
'Oh yes, I can see him now. He looks like a black stone. '
"啊,是,我看到了。看起来像块黑石。"
He whistled again, then paused. 'Your name's Twisdon, isn't it? '
他又吹起口哨,然后停下来。"您叫特维斯顿,是吗?"
'No, 'I said. 'I mean yes. 'I had forgotten the name I had given Sir Harry.
"不,"我说。"我想说的是对。"我把自己告诉哈里爵士的那个名字忘记了。
'It's a good idea to know your own name, 'he said, smiling.
"很想知道您的真名,"他说着笑了。
I looked at him again and began to think that this kind, intelligent man would be a real ally at last.
我看了他一眼,心里开始想着这位和蔼机敏的人大概最终是我真正的战友。