'You see, Master Marner, 'he said in his high old voice,
"你知道,马南师傅,"他用苍老的高音说,
'I used to think you worked for the devil-you've always looked strange, you know.
"我以前以为你为魔鬼工作--你知道你老是看起来怪怪的。
But now I'm sure you're not evil, just a little bit crazy.
可现在我肯定你不邪恶,只是有一点儿古怪,
That's what I tell the neighbours. '
我就是这么对邻居们讲的。"
He stopped to give Silas time to reply, but the weaver did not speak.
他停下来等西拉斯回答,可西拉斯没有出声,
He was sitting with his head in his hands as usual.
只是像平常一样用手抱着头坐着,
He knew that the old man was trying to be kind,
他知道这个老人在试图表示友好,
but he was too miserable to show any interest.
不过他实在是太沮丧了,没有兴趣。
'Come, Master Marner, what's your answer to that? 'asked Mr. Macey, a little impatiently.
"怎么样,马南师傅,你对我说的怎么看?"麦西先生有点儿不耐烦了。
'Oh, 'said Silas, slowly lifting his head, 'thank you. Thank you for your kindness. '
"噢,"西拉斯慢慢抬起头,"谢谢你,谢谢你的好意。"
'That's all right, 'replied the old man, pleased. '
"没什么,"老头儿高兴了,
Now, you shouldn't sit here moaning, you know.
"我看你不应该再坐在这儿呻吟了。
Here's my advice to you.
听听我的意见吧。
Ask Tookey in the village to make you a Sunday suit-I don't expect you've got one-and then you can come to church with your neighbours.
去找村里的图齐给你做一件礼拜服--我想你一定没有礼拜服--然后和邻居一块儿到教堂来。