'You didn't hear the church bells this morning, perhaps, Master Marner? 'dolly asked gently.
"你今天早晨或许没听到教堂的钟声,马南师傅?"多莉轻轻地问,
'This cottage is a long way from the village. '
"这个小屋离村里太远了。"
'Yes, I heard them, 'answered Silas.
"我听见了,"西拉斯回答,
For him Sunday bells did not mean anything.
礼拜日的钟声对他没有任何含意,
There had been no bells at the Light Street chapel.
日光街小教堂没钟。
'Oh! 'said Dolly. 'But-but do you have to work on a Sunday?
"噢!"多莉说,"可--可你一定要在礼拜日工作吗?
You could make Sunday different from the other days, you know,
你可以把礼拜日搞得和平时不同一些,你也知道,
by washing yourself, and cooking a little piece of meat, and going to church.
可以洗洗澡,烤块肉,然后上教堂去。
And Master Marner, Christmas Day will be here soon!
而且马南师傅,马上要到圣诞节了!
If you put on your best clothes and go to church and see the flowers and hear the singing, you'll feel much better!
如果穿上最好的衣服到教堂去看看花,听听歌,你会感觉好多了!
You'll know there is Someone you can trust! '
你会知道那里有你可以信赖的人!"
Dolly did not usually talk so much, but the matter seemed extremely important to her.
多莉平时话并不多,可这事对她很重要。
'No, no, 'silas replied. 'I don't know anything about church.
"不,不,"西拉斯回答,"我不懂教堂的事,
I've never been to church. '
我从没去过教堂。"