My servant will find me when he arrives in the morning and he'll call the police.
等早晨我的仆人来了会发现我而且会报警。
I've left a lot of empty whisky bottles in my room.
我在房间留下了许多空威士忌酒瓶。
The police will think I drank too much and then killed myself.
警察会以为我饮酒过度,自己送了命。
'He paused. 'I watched from the window until I saw you come home, and then came down the stairs to meet you. '
”他停了一下,“我从窗户向外观察,一直看到您回家,然后我才下楼来见您。”
It was the strangest of stories.
这个故事真是奇中之奇。
However, in my experience, the most extraordinary stories are often the true ones.
然而根据我的经历,最奇怪的故事往往是真事。
And if the man just wanted to get into my flat and murder me, why didn't he tell a simpler story?
而且,假定这个人进到我房间想害我,为什么他不讲简单一点呢?
'Right, 'I said. 'I'll trust you for tonight.
“好吧,”我说,“今晚我就相信您这一回好了。
I'll lock you in this room and keep the key.
我把您锁在这间屋里,我拿着钥匙。
Just one word, Mr Scudder.
斯卡德尔先生,听我说一句话。
I believe you're honest, but if you're not,
我相信您是个诚实人,但是如果您不诚实,
I should warn you that I know how to use a gun. '
我可警告您,我也知道枪怎么用。”
'Certainly, 'he answered, jumping up. 'I'm afraid I don't know your name, sir,
“那是自然,”他回答着,激动得跳了起来。“先生,恐怕我还不知道您叫什么,
but I would like to thank you. And could I use your bathroom?'
但我要感谢您。我能使用您的浴室吗?”