欲加强难度还请移步《地道美语听力播客(快速版)》
Maria: What’s going on here? I came as soon as I got your phone call. Why are you holding onto my son like that?
玛利亚:发生什么事情了?我一接到你的电话就赶过来了。你为什么紧紧抓住我的儿子?
Storeowner: I am restraining your son because I caught him shoplifting. I thought you’d like to be here when I called the police.
店主:我在制服他,他在商店里行窃被我抓住了。我觉得在报警之前,你应该想要过来私下聊聊。
Maria: There’s no need for that. He’s not a delinquent.
玛利亚:没有必要报警。他不是什么不良青年。
Storeowner: He is from my standpoint. Theft is a serious crime.

Maria: I know it is and I’ll make restitution. Please give him a second chance. Please don’t call the police.
玛利亚:我理解你的立场,我会进行赔偿。请你给他一次改过立新的机会。不要报警。
Storeowner: Well, it’s not the value of what he’s stolen that’s important. It’s the fact that he committed an offense.
店主:关键不是他所偷窃的物品有多贵重,而是他犯了罪。
Maria: Please let me pay for it and I’ll make sure he never enters your store again. What did he take and how much do I owe you?
玛利亚:请您让我为商品付费吧,我保证他再也不会进这家店了。他偷拿了什么东西,我应该给您多少钱?
Storeowner: I told you that it’s not the cost of the item. It’s the principle.
店主:我跟你解释过了,重要的不是商品贵重与否,而是原则性问题。
Maria: What exactly did my son take?
玛利亚:我儿子究竟偷了什么?
Storeowner: He ate a grape.
店主:他偷吃了一颗葡萄。
Maria: One grape?
玛利亚:一颗...葡萄?
Storeowner: Yes, before I stopped him. He could have eaten the entire fruit stand if I hadn’t been vigilant.
店主:没错,我及时制止了他。好在我足够警惕,不然他就把整个水果摊都吃掉了。
Maria: All this over one grape?
玛利亚:这一切皆起因一颗葡萄?
Storeowner: You should be thanking me for alerting you to this behavior. As a parent, you know you need to nip these things in the bud. Today it’s a grape; tomorrow it’s a car!
店主:你应该感谢我敲响了警钟。作为家长,应该把孩子的犯罪苗头扼杀在摇篮里。今天偷吃一颗葡萄;明天偷得可能就是一辆车!
Maria: Okay, how much do I owe you for one grape?
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载