I went to this Trappist monastery a couple years ago.
几年前我去过特拉普派的修道院
Trappist? Yeah, they're Catholic. Cistercian.
特拉普派吗 是的,他们属于天主教西多会
Why did you do that? Why? I'd been doing some reading.
你为什么要那样 为什么?我看了些书
Thought it'd be cool. Have you ever spent any time with monks or nuns?
当时以为那很酷 你和僧侣或者修女谈过吗
No. It's not really my style. No?
不。我没那种兴趣 没有吗
Well, I expected them to be all glowering and stern, but they weren't.
呃,我本以为他们个个苛刻 严厉常常怒目而视,但不是的
They were quick to laugh, really easy to be around.
他们常常开口便笑,很容易相处
Seriously, very attuned to everything, they were just
说实在的,与世无争 他们只是
You know, they weren't trying to hustle anybody.
你知道,他们不排挤任何人
They're trying to live and die in peace with God
他们努力和主或者其他 他们认为永恒的东西
or whatever part of them they feel is eternal.
一起在和平中同生共死
It was just so refreshing to be around.
在他们周围真的神清气爽
You realize that most of the people that you meet
你意识到你所遇到的每个人
are trying to get somewhere better.
都在试着把某事做的更好
They're trying to make more cash, get a little more respect
他们努力去赚更多的钱,得到更多的尊重。