手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 雅思 > 雅思听力 > 剑桥雅思真题听力 > 剑桥雅思18 > 正文

剑桥雅思18真题听力 第13期:Test2(part3-1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Helen   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

ADAM: So, Michelle, shall we make a start on our presentation?

亚当:那么,米歇尔,我们可以开始准备演讲了吗?

We haven't got that much time left.

我们没有那么多时间了。

MICHELLE: No, Adam.

米歇尔:不,亚当。

But at least we've done all the background reading.

但至少我们已经阅读了所有的背景资料。

I found it really interesting.

我发现这真的很有趣。

I'd never even heard of the Laki eruption before this.

在此之前,我甚至从未听说过拉基火山喷发。

ADAM: Me neither.

亚当:我也是。

I suppose 1783 is a long time ago.

我想1783年是很久以前的事了。

MICHELLE: But it was a huge eruption and it had such devastating consequences.

米歇尔:但这是一次巨大的火山喷发,造成了如此严重的后果。

ADAM: I know.

亚当:我知道。

It was great there were so many primary sources to look at.

能有这么多一手资料可供查阅,这真是太好了。

It really gives you a sense of how catastrophic the volcano was.

这让你真正感受到那次火山喷发的灾难性后果。

People were really trying to make sense of the science for the first time.

人们真的是第一次试图理解这门科学。

MICHELLE: That's right.

米歇尔:没错。

But what I found more significant was how it impacted directly and indirectly on political events, as well as having massive social and economic consequences.

但我发现更重要的是,它如何直接和间接地影响到政治事件,并对社会和经济产生了巨大的影响。

ADAM: I know. That should be the main focus of our presentation.

亚当:我知道。这应该是我们演讲的重点。

MICHELLE: The observations made by people at the time were interesting, weren't they?

米歇尔:当时人们的观察很有趣,不是吗?

I mean, they all gave a pretty consistent account of what happened, even if they didn't always use the same terminology.

我的意思是,他们对所发生的事情都给出了相当一致的描述,尽管他们并不总是使用相同的术语。

ADAM: Yeah. I was surprised there were so many weather stations established by that time.

亚当:是的。令我惊讶的是,当时已经建立了这么多气象站。

So, you know, you can see how the weather changed, often by the hour.

所以,你知道,你可以看到天气是如何变化的,通常是按小时记录的。

MICHELLE: Right. Writers at the time talked about the Laki haze to describe the volcanic fog that spread across Europe.

米歇尔:对。当时的作家们用“拉基阴霾”来形容蔓延到整个欧洲的火山雾。

They all realised that this wasn't the sort of fog they were used to-and of course this was in pre-industrial times-so they hadn't experienced sulphur-smelling fog before.

他们都意识到这不是他们所习惯的那种雾——当然这是在前工业时代——所以他们以前没有经历过硫磺味的雾。

ADAM: No, that's true.

亚当:的确如此。

MICHELLE: Reports from the period blamed the haze for an increase in headaches, respiratory issues and asthma attacks.

米歇尔:这一时期的报道将头痛、呼吸问题和哮喘发作的病情增加归咎于雾霾。

And they all describe how it covered the sun and made it look a strange red colour.

它们都描述了雾霾是如何遮住太阳,并导致太阳看起来像是奇怪的红色。

ADAM: Must have been very weird.

亚当:那时一定很奇怪。

MICHELLE: It's interesting that Benjamin Franklin wrote about the haze.

米歇尔:本杰明·富兰克林写了关于雾霾的文章,这很有趣。

Did you read that?

你读了吗?

He was the American ambassador in Paris at the time.

他当时是美国驻巴黎大使。

ADAM: Yeah. At first no one realised that the haze was caused by the volcanic eruption in Iceland.

亚当:是的。起初,没有人意识到雾霾是由冰岛的火山喷发造成的。

MICHELLE: It was Benjamin Franklin who realised that before anyone else.

米歇尔:本杰明·富兰克林比任何人都更早意识到这一点。

ADAM: He's often credited with that, apparently.

亚当:显然,人们常常把这归功于他。

But a French naturalist beat him to it.

但一位法国博物学家抢在了他前面。

I can't remember his name.

我想不起来他叫什么名字了。

I'd have to look it up.

我得去查一查。

Then other naturalists had the same idea-all independently of each other.

然后,其他博物学家也有同样的想法——他们都是独自得出的结论。

MICHELLE: Oh right.

米歇尔:哦,对了。

We should talk about the immediate impact of the eruption, which was obviously enormous-especially in Iceland, where so many people died.

我们应该谈谈火山喷发造成的直接影响,显然是巨大的——特别是在冰岛,有这么多人死亡。

ADAM: Mmm. You'd expect that-and the fact that the volcanic ash drifted so swiftly but not that the effects would go on for so long.

亚当:嗯。你会预料到这一点——还有火山灰飘散得如此之快,但你不会预料到,喷发后造成的影响会持续这么长时间。

Or that two years after the eruption, strange weather events were being reported as far away as North America and North Africa.

或者说,在拉基火山喷发两年后,远至北美和北非的地方都有反常天气事件的报道。

MICHELLE: No. I found all that hard to believe too.

米歇尔:是的,预料不到。我也觉得这很难相信。

It must have been terrible-and there was nothing anyone could do about it, even if they knew the ash cloud was coming in their direction.

这一定很可怕——任何人都无能为力,即使他们知道火山灰云正朝着他们飘来。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
presentation [.prezen'teiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 陈述,介绍,赠与
n. [美]讲课,报告

联想记忆
consistent [kən'sistənt]

想一想再看

adj. 始终如一的,一致的,坚持的

联想记忆
experienced [iks'piəriənst]

想一想再看

adj. 有经验的

 
spread [spred]

想一想再看

v. 伸展,展开,传播,散布,铺开,涂撒
n.

 
massive ['mæsiv]

想一想再看

adj. 巨大的,大规模的,大量的,大范围的

 
volcanic [vɔl'kænik]

想一想再看

adj. 火山的,猛烈的

 
devastating ['devəsteitiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 毁灭性的,令人震惊的,强有力的

 
haven ['heivn]

想一想再看

n. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,

联想记忆
asthma ['æsmə]

想一想再看

n. 哮喘

联想记忆
respiratory [ri'spirətəri]

想一想再看

adj. 呼吸的,与呼吸有关的

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。