Right, let's make a list of topics to cover in our presentation, and decide who's going to do more research on them.
好的,让我们列一份要在演讲中涉及的话题清单,然后决定谁将就这些话题做更多的研究。
Then later, we can get together and plan the next step.
然后,我们可以聚在一起,计划下一步。
OK. How about starting with how useful refrigeration is, and the range of goods that are refrigerated nowadays? Because of course it's not just food and drinks.
好的。先从冷藏的用处和如今冷藏的商品种类说起如何?因为当然不只有食物和饮料需要冷藏。
No, I suppose flowers and medicines are refrigerated, too.
是的,我认为鲜花和药品也需要冷藏。
And computers. I could do that, unless you particularly want to.
还有电脑。我可能会这么做,除非你特别想这样做。
No, that's fine by me. What about the effects of refrigeration on people's health?
不,我觉得没问题。那么冷藏对人们健康的影响呢?
After all, some of the chemicals used in the 19th century were pretty harmful, but there have been lots of benefits too, like always having access to fresh food. Do you fancy dealing with that?
毕竟,19世纪使用的一些化学物质是非常有害的,但也有很多好处,比如总是可以获得新鲜食物。你想处理这个问题吗?
I'm not terribly keen, to be honest.
老实说,我不是特别愿意处理这个问题。
Nor me. My mind just goes blank when I read anything about chemicals.
我也是。当我读到任何关于化学物质的东西时,我的大脑就会一片空白。
Oh, all right then, I'll do you a favour. But you owe me, Jack.
哦,好吧,那我就帮你个忙。但你欠我个人情,杰克。
OK. What about the effects on food producers, like farmers in poorer countries being able to export their produce to developed countries? Something for you, maybe?
好的。对食品生产者的影响呢,比如较贫穷国家的农民能够向发达国家出口他们的产品?或许你来处理这个问题?
I don't mind. It should be quite interesting.
我不介意。应该会很有趣。
I think we should also look at how refrigeration has helped whole cities – like Las Vegas, which couldn't exist without refrigeration because it's in the middle of a desert.
我认为我们还应该研究下冷藏如何帮助整个城市,比如拉斯维加斯,没有冷藏它就不可能存在,因为它位于沙漠中央。
Right. I had a quick look at an economics book in the library that's got a chapter about this sort of thing.
没错。我快速浏览了图书馆里的一本经济学书,里面有一章是关于这类事情的。
I could give you the title, if you want to do this section.
如果你想做这一部分,我可以给你标题。
Not particularly, to be honest. I find economics books pretty heavy going, as a rule.
老实说,我并不特别想做这一部分。一般来说,我发现经济学书籍相当难懂。
OK, leave it to me, then.
好的,那就交给我吧。
Thanks. Then there's transport, and the difference that refrigerated trucks have made. I wouldn't mind having a go at that.
谢谢。然后是运输,以及冷藏卡车造成的影响。我不介意试一试。
Don't forget trains, too. I read something about milk and butter being transported in refrigerated railroad cars in the USA, right back in the 1840s.
别忘了还有火车。早在19世纪40年代,美国曾用铁路冷藏车运输牛奶和黄油,我曾读到过相关资料。
I hadn't thought of trains. Thanks.
我没想到火车。谢谢。
Shall we have a separate section on domestic fridges?
我们要不要单独介绍家用冰箱?
After all, they're something everyone's familiar with.
毕竟,它们是每个人都熟悉的东西。
What about splitting it into two?
把它一分为二怎么样?
You could investigate 19th-and 20th-century fridges, and I'll concentrate on what's available these days, and how manufacturers differentiate their products from those of their competitors.
你可以研究一下19世纪和20世纪的冰箱,我将会重点研究目前可用的冰箱,以及制造商如何将他们的产品与竞争对手的产品区分开来。
OK, that'd suit me.
好的,那很适合我。