Journey to the West Chapter 26 The Monster in the River
《西游记》第二十六章:河里的妖怪
"I hope we reach the Western Paradise soon," said the Tang Monk one morning.
“我希望我们很快就能到达西方极乐世界。” 一天早上唐僧说。
Wukong and his companions were eating breakfast. The monkey laughed.
悟空他们这时正在吃早饭。悟空大笑。
"The journey will take many years, Master! And you must face many challenges along the way.
“这一趟要走很多年的,师父!一路上你必须经历很多磨难。
"Buddha doesn't give the True Scriptures to just anyone.
“佛祖不会随便把真经给人的。
You must prove you're worthy by surviving a long and difficult journey." The monk sighed.
你必须经历漫长而艰难的旅程,才能证明你值得得到真经。”唐僧叹了口气。
Bajie put down his bowl. "I'm tired of this journey!" he cried.
八戒放下了碗。“我不想走了!” 他大叫,
"My legs hurt. And we never have enough food."
“我的腿疼死了。我们没有一次吃饱过。”
"Stop thinking about food, Bajie," said Wukong.
“别再想着吃的了,八戒。” 悟空说,
"We're Buddhist monks now. We should think only about reaching the Western Paradise."
“我们现在是僧人了。我们应该一心想着去西天极乐世界。”
The pig sighed. After he washed the bowls, the three companions headed down the road.
八戒叹了口气。他洗好碗后,三个人又上路了。
They soon reached a river. The water splashed, and a purple monster leaped from the waves.
很快他们就到了一条河边。河里水花飞溅,一个紫色的妖怪从河中跳了出来。
"Master, stay back!" shouted Wukong. He pulled out his iron bar and blocked the monster's staff. Clang!
“师父,退后!” 悟空大叫。他拿出了金箍棒挡住了妖怪的杖。咣当!
Bajie lunged at the monster, swinging his rake. The monster dived back into the river.
八戒朝着妖怪冲去,挥舞着他的钉耙。妖怪又跳回了河里。
"Bajie, my powers aren't strong underwater," said Wukong.
“八戒,我水性不好。” 悟空说,
"Dive in, and get him to chase you out of the river. Then I'll surprise him."
“你到水里,引他上来,然后我给他一个突然袭击。”
"Okay," said the pig.
“好。” 八戒说,
"Let’s wait until he comes all the way up on shore though. Then I'll block his path so he can't go back in the river."
“等他上岸,我就堵住他的退路,这样他就没办法再回到河里了。”
Bajie dived into the water. Wukong waited at the river.
八戒跳进了水里。悟空在河边等着。
A moment later the pig was back with the monster following. The monkey swung his iron bar—and missed.
过了一会儿,八戒出来了,身后跟着那妖怪。悟空挥舞着金箍棒打过去,但没打中。
The monster dived back underwater. "You didn't wait until he was on shore," said Bajie.
那妖怪又跳回了水里。“你都没等到他上岸。” 八戒说,
"You're too impatient!" Wukong shrugged and laughed.
“你太没耐心了!”悟空耸耸肩笑了。
"Let's yell at the monster. Maybe he'll come back."
“我们对着妖怪叫骂吧。也许他会出来的。”
Wukong and Bajie yelled at the river for more than an hour.
悟空和八戒对着河面叫骂了一个多小时,
But the monster did not come back. Finally the monkey sighed.
但那妖怪始终没有再出来。最后悟空叹了口气:
"We can't cross this river with the monster in there. I'll ask Guanyin for help."
“有那妖怪在河里,我们就没办法过去。我去请观音菩萨帮忙。”
Wukong went to Mount Potalaka and told Guanyin about the monster.
悟空到了普陀山,将妖怪的事情告诉了观音菩萨。
"His name is Sha Wujing," said Guanyin.
“他名叫沙悟净。” 观音菩萨说,
"He was waiting for you. He's going to help the Tang Monk reach the Western Paradise."
“他在等你们。他会护送唐僧到达西方极乐世界。”
"I didn't know that!" cried Wukong. Guanyin went back to the river with Wukong.
“我不知道啊!” 悟空大叫。观音菩萨和悟空一起回到了河边。
"Sha Wujing!" she called. "The Tang Monk is here!"
“沙悟净!” 她叫道,“唐僧来了!”
The monster jumped out of the river and bowed.
那妖怪从河里跳了出来拜倒在地。
"I'm sorry, Bodhisattva," he said. "I didn't know he'd arrived."
“抱歉,观音菩萨。” 他说,“我不知道唐僧来了。”
"These two are his companions," said Guanyin.
“这两个是他的徒弟。” 观音菩萨说。
She waved her hand toward Wukong and Bajie.
她用手指了指悟空和八戒。
Wujing looked surprised. "They attacked me!"
悟净看上去很吃惊:“他们打了我!”
"You attacked us first!" shouted Bajie. "Stop arguing," said Guanyin.
“你先打我们的!” 八戒高叫。“别吵了。” 观音菩萨说,
"Wujing, you will help the Tang Monk reach the west."
“悟净,你要帮着唐僧去西天。”
"Yes, Bodhisattva," said Wujing. Guanyin disappeared, and Wujing joined the group.
“是,观音菩萨。” 悟净说。观音菩萨消失了,悟净加入了队伍。
He led the horse while the Tang Monk rode.
唐僧骑马的时候他就牵着马。
"I was being punished for breaking a glass in Heaven," said Wujing one day.
“我因为打碎了天庭的琉璃而受惩罚。” 一天悟净说,
"When we reach the Western Paradise, I will be forgiven."
“等我们到了西方极乐世界,我就可以被宽恕。”
"Bajie and I were punished for crimes in Heaven too," said Wukong.
“八戒和我也是因为在天庭犯了事而被罚的。” 悟空说,
"So was the horse. Did you know the horse is really a dragon?" Wujing looked doubtful.
“这马也是。你知道吗?这马其实是一条龙。”悟净看上去很怀疑:
"This horse is too slow to be a dragon.""Oh, really?" said the monkey.
“这马的速度太慢了,不可能是龙啊。”“哦,真的吗?” 悟空说,
"Watch this!"He struck the horse. The horse shot down the road as fast as lightning.
“你看!”他拍了一下马。那马像闪电一样在路上飞跑。
Its reins were ripped from Wujing's hand.
它的缰绳从悟净的手里滑脱了。
"Ahh!" cried the Tang Monk.When the horse finally stopped, the Tang Monk was in a dark forest.
“啊!” 唐僧大叫。当马最终停下来的时候,唐僧已经在一座黑暗森林里了。
He gasped in fear. The forest was filled with wolves, bears, and tigers!
他害怕地一直大喘气。那森林里有很多狼、熊,还有老虎!